11-year-old boy with ADHD misses first week of school
- Credit: Archant
An 11-year-old boy diagnosed with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) has missed his first week of secondary school, after his mum was told at the last minute that he was not on the registration list.
Joanne Sexton, of Cambourne Avenue, Harold Hill, was shocked when she was told on the morning that her son, Reno White, was due to start Royal Liberty school that he could not attend.
The symptoms of ADHD, include inattentiveness, hyperactivity and impulsiveness. Reno also has autistic spectrum disorder, which can affect communication and social interaction.
Joanne said: “This is absolutely disgraceful, I am so angry at them for doing this to him.
“He has enough trouble making friends and fitting in as it is without missing the beginning of his first year there.”
You may also want to watch:
Reno had changed into his £200 new uniform and was ready to leave when Joanne checked her Parentpay account with the school, in Upper Brentwood Road, Romford.
To her surprise, she saw that the account, which allows parents to pay for lunches and school trips, had been deactivated.
- 1 Harold Wood fatal stabbing victim named as police arrest three more people
- 2 Man jailed for drug offences and violent assaults in Romford flat
- 3 New rapid testing sites open in Romford and Upminster
- 4 Arrests made after multiple stabbing in Havering
- 5 Family of Harvey Tyrrell campaigning for stricter pub safety laws
- 6 One teenager dead in Harold Hill double stabbing
- 7 CCTV cameras to enforce new lorry ban through Rainham village
- 8 New venture for Hornchurch MasterChef hairdresser
- 9 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 10 Money raised by Captain Tom to be used to fund new ambulances
When she called the school, she was told that Reno had been taken off the registration list and could not attend lessons that day.
Reno’s parents were invited to a meeting with the headmistress yesterday (Thursday) to discuss possible options.
Joanne said: “It’s ridiculous that they’re saying he was never going to that school when he went to the induction day and we met the headmistress.
“He was all dressed up in his uniform when I had to tell him he wasn’t going and he was so upset.”
Headteacher Julia Deery, said: “While we want all pupils to start school straight away, in this case a late application was made in July for a place.
“It is important that everything is in place to support his individual needs.
“Therefore, we are working closely with the council, and arranged a meeting with the parents and their son to discuss his start at the school.
“We look forward to welcoming to him to Royal Liberty.”