102nd birthday celebrations for Hornchurch woman
IT’S PARTY time for a Hornchurch woman who will be celebrating turning 102 on Wednesday (January 19).
Mabel Scotchmare, who lives in Moreland House, Manor Ave, will be celebrating with her friends, daughter and the deputy mayor of Havering Melvin Wallace.
Originally from Limehouse in the East End, Mabel, or “Mabs” as she likes to be known, lived in Clapton and Woodford Green before moving to Hornchurch 12 years ago.
She married her husband Reg, a cardboard box maker and fire service worker in the war, in 1935 and stayed at home looking after their disabled son until he died in 1999.
Her daughter Marion White, 67, said: “We had a party for her 101st and it was great. I’m looking forward to this year’s very much and all my friends are as well.”
You may also want to watch:
Care home manager Jayne Mbugua said: “All 16 of our residents are looking forward to it, we’re like a big family here.”
- 1 Romford man gains 100,000 signatures to scrap £200m Prince Philip yacht
- 2 Deadline looming to comment on Market Place development plans
- 3 Man and two boys charged with murder of Daniel Laskos in Harold Wood
- 4 Havering electoral wards face axe as borough is split into 20 areas
- 5 Town centre app launches to entice shoppers to Romford
- 6 Why Romford MP is allowed to keep names of donors secret
- 7 Romford Tesco Extra plants trees to offset car emissions
- 8 'No one deserves that': Neighbours 'traumatised' by triple stabbing
- 9 Harold Wood fatal stabbing victim named as police arrest three more people
- 10 One teenager dead in Harold Wood triple stabbing