102nd birthday celebrations for Hornchurch woman
IT’S PARTY time for a Hornchurch woman who will be celebrating turning 102 on Wednesday (January 19).
Mabel Scotchmare, who lives in Moreland House, Manor Ave, will be celebrating with her friends, daughter and the deputy mayor of Havering Melvin Wallace.
Originally from Limehouse in the East End, Mabel, or “Mabs” as she likes to be known, lived in Clapton and Woodford Green before moving to Hornchurch 12 years ago.
She married her husband Reg, a cardboard box maker and fire service worker in the war, in 1935 and stayed at home looking after their disabled son until he died in 1999.
Her daughter Marion White, 67, said: “We had a party for her 101st and it was great. I’m looking forward to this year’s very much and all my friends are as well.”
You may also want to watch:
Care home manager Jayne Mbugua said: “All 16 of our residents are looking forward to it, we’re like a big family here.”
- 1 Teen hospitalised after being stabbed in Upminster
- 2 Woman dies after falling from 'substantial height' in Romford
- 3 Romford school prepped for another 100 years as major renovation works end
- 4 Public detain male in street after alleged bid to rob Rainham shop
- 5 Broken bus stop in Upminster to be repaired within 'few weeks'
- 6 Royal Mail apologises for Covid-related delays as pensioner reports no deliveries 'for weeks'
- 7 Hospital's failure to identify neck injury 'contributed' to courier's death, inquest finds
- 8 Woman who struggled to walk with 'excruciating pain’ to run London Marathon
- 9 Hospitality Hero: 'Biggest prize is appreciation,' says tearoom owner
- 10 Hornchurch Covid woodland memorial gets residents' backing, survey says