‘We can help the Legion surpass its fundraising target’ - Poppy Appeal launched in Romford
The Romford branch of the Royal British Legion launched its poppy appeal today.
The event took place at The Mercury Mall with Mayor of Havering Cllr Lynden Thorpe and MPs Andrew Rosindell and Angela Watkinson in attendance alongside current and former members of the Armed Forces, police cadets and others.
Money raised from the appeal goes towards the Royal British Legion’s charity work which helps generations of needy members of the Armed Forces and their families.
Havering Mayor Cllr Lynden Thorpe said at the launch: “The Poppy Appeal is a very important way for residents to show their respects for those who have served in the Armed Forces and those who so selflessly gave their lives so we could have the freedoms we all enjoy today.
“I understand that the Legion aims to raise �42 million nationally this year to carry out their vital work in supporting our troops, young and old, and their families.
You may also want to watch:
“I know that by working together as a community, we can all help the Royal British Legion to achieve their fundraising target – and maybe even surpass it.”
Sarah de Courcy Rolls, deputy manager of the Mercury Mall, said: “It is not just about the ones who are lost, it is also about those who are damaged or lose a limb and need a lifetime of support and regrettably, who we are still hearing about on the news bulletins today.”
- 1 Shoppers and traders enjoy Romford market and high street in the sunshine
- 2 Man and woman assaulted at Upminster Station
- 3 Romford new age shop to reopen again after closure years ago
- 4 Harold Wood residents delighted as deer graze outside their windows
- 5 'I'm appalled at no-show bookings as pubs reopen'
- 6 Romford swimmer calls for volunteers to take plunge for hospice
- 7 Upminster student completes 4x4x48 Challenge for Saint Francis Hospice
- 8 Covid hospital admissions and deaths in stark decline, NHS trust data shows
- 9 Mayoral election 2021: how will candidates improve east London?
- 10 Brookside Theatre to reopen with Peter Rabbit musical and Hairspray
Poppies are on sale throughout Havering.