VE Day: Harold Hill schoolchildren celebrate 70th anniversary
- Credit: Archant
Youngsters are celebrating the sacrifices of all those who defended our freedoms during the Second World War.
Schoolchildren are taking part in festivities today to celebrate the 70th anniversary of VE (Victory in Europe) Day.
Broadford Primary School, in Faringdon Avenue, Harold Hill, is hosting street parties all day.
Classes have been paired together to hold their own activities at various points throughout the day, performing songs, reading Sir Winston Churchill’s victory speech and enjoying parties with cakes, drinks and music.
Drapers’ Academy, in Settle Road, Harold Hill, was visited by a veteran this morning and Drapers’ Brookside Junior School, in Dagnam Park Drive, Harold Hill, is hosting a party this afternoon.
You may also want to watch:
Pupils, dressed in the colours of the Union Jack, have been cooking traditional British meals and they will enjoy those in the playground.
Send us your VE Day celebration pictures through iwitness24.co.uk or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 1 Mick Norcross, The Only Way Is Essex star, has died aged 57
- 2 'A tax on relationships': Politicians criticise boundary charge proposal
- 3 Queen's and King George hospitals appeal for volunteers to support end of life patients
- 4 Council report reveals concern that borough's Covid vaccination drive may be held back
- 5 'My life lit up': Councillor's joy at reuniting with daughter after more than 30 years
- 6 Harvey, 7, died after electric shock 'flowed through his body', court hears
- 7 Police appeal after second fatal Rainham collision in less than a week
- 8 Queen's and King George hospitals reach 10,000 vaccinated milestone
- 9 Council campaign calls on residents to take up Covid vaccine
- 10 Havering parks and gardens five feet under water as rivers burst their banks
A special supplement celebrating the anniversary is inside this week’s paper, featuring residents’ memories and a spread looking at the impact of bombing raids on east London.