VE Day: Harold Hill schoolchildren celebrate 70th anniversary
- Credit: Archant
Youngsters are celebrating the sacrifices of all those who defended our freedoms during the Second World War.
Schoolchildren are taking part in festivities today to celebrate the 70th anniversary of VE (Victory in Europe) Day.
Broadford Primary School, in Faringdon Avenue, Harold Hill, is hosting street parties all day.
Classes have been paired together to hold their own activities at various points throughout the day, performing songs, reading Sir Winston Churchill’s victory speech and enjoying parties with cakes, drinks and music.
Drapers’ Academy, in Settle Road, Harold Hill, was visited by a veteran this morning and Drapers’ Brookside Junior School, in Dagnam Park Drive, Harold Hill, is hosting a party this afternoon.
You may also want to watch:
Pupils, dressed in the colours of the Union Jack, have been cooking traditional British meals and they will enjoy those in the playground.
Send us your VE Day celebration pictures through iwitness24.co.uk or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 1 Shoppers and traders enjoy Romford market and high street in the sunshine
- 2 Man and woman assaulted at Upminster Station
- 3 Romford new age shop to reopen again after closure years ago
- 4 Harold Wood residents delighted as deer graze outside their windows
- 5 'I'm appalled at no-show bookings as pubs reopen'
- 6 Romford swimmer calls for volunteers to take plunge for hospice
- 7 Upminster student completes 4x4x48 Challenge for Saint Francis Hospice
- 8 Covid hospital admissions and deaths in stark decline, NHS trust data shows
- 9 Mayoral election 2021: how will candidates improve east London?
- 10 Brookside Theatre to reopen with Peter Rabbit musical and Hairspray
A special supplement celebrating the anniversary is inside this week’s paper, featuring residents’ memories and a spread looking at the impact of bombing raids on east London.