VE Day: Harold Hill schoolchildren celebrate 70th anniversary
- Credit: Archant
Youngsters are celebrating the sacrifices of all those who defended our freedoms during the Second World War.
Schoolchildren are taking part in festivities today to celebrate the 70th anniversary of VE (Victory in Europe) Day.
Broadford Primary School, in Faringdon Avenue, Harold Hill, is hosting street parties all day.
Classes have been paired together to hold their own activities at various points throughout the day, performing songs, reading Sir Winston Churchill’s victory speech and enjoying parties with cakes, drinks and music.
Drapers’ Academy, in Settle Road, Harold Hill, was visited by a veteran this morning and Drapers’ Brookside Junior School, in Dagnam Park Drive, Harold Hill, is hosting a party this afternoon.
You may also want to watch:
Pupils, dressed in the colours of the Union Jack, have been cooking traditional British meals and they will enjoy those in the playground.
Send us your VE Day celebration pictures through iwitness24.co.uk or by emailing email@example.com.
- 1 Demolition 'will now begin' to make way for 120 homes at former campus
- 2 Woman dies after falling from 'substantial height' in Romford
- 3 Hornchurch man to face trial accused of teeth whitening offence
- 4 Signals at Hornchurch 'crash hotspot' now under review
- 5 Rainham flat ravaged by late night blaze
- 6 Campaigners ‘overjoyed’ and developer to 'consider its next steps' following Gallows Corner Tesco refusal
- 7 Covid-19: How has Havering fared over the last four weeks?
- 8 Altered timetable means fewer fast trains between Romford and Liverpool Street
- 9 Application to install 5G mast in Cranham refused
- 10 Major train disruption and cancellations through Barking via Rainham
A special supplement celebrating the anniversary is inside this week’s paper, featuring residents’ memories and a spread looking at the impact of bombing raids on east London.