VE Day: Harold Hill schoolchildren celebrate 70th anniversary
- Credit: Archant
Youngsters are celebrating the sacrifices of all those who defended our freedoms during the Second World War.
Schoolchildren are taking part in festivities today to celebrate the 70th anniversary of VE (Victory in Europe) Day.
Broadford Primary School, in Faringdon Avenue, Harold Hill, is hosting street parties all day.
Classes have been paired together to hold their own activities at various points throughout the day, performing songs, reading Sir Winston Churchill’s victory speech and enjoying parties with cakes, drinks and music.
Drapers’ Academy, in Settle Road, Harold Hill, was visited by a veteran this morning and Drapers’ Brookside Junior School, in Dagnam Park Drive, Harold Hill, is hosting a party this afternoon.
Pupils, dressed in the colours of the Union Jack, have been cooking traditional British meals and they will enjoy those in the playground.
Send us your VE Day celebration pictures through iwitness24.co.uk or by emailing email@example.com.
- 1 Mother's agony after daughter laid dead in Hornchurch flat for six weeks
- 2 'I just shut my eyes': Murder accused tells of moment he ran over victim
- 3 Parking restricted at country park as work starts on Covid woodland memorial
- 4 Scrap 'ludicrous' mandatory vaccination policy, says Rosindell
- 5 Isla Caton 'gains her angel wings' after five-year cancer battle
- 6 Hornchurch Japanese restaurant rejects licensing officer's advice over late opening application
- 7 'Use it or lose it': More sign-ups needed to save food delivery service
- 8 Romford tree protest cancelled after campaign success
- 9 Deputy mayor steps in to mark first Covid-19 memorial tree in Havering
- 10 Fake Dyson Airwrap and Primark baby toy among recent recalled items
A special supplement celebrating the anniversary is inside this week’s paper, featuring residents’ memories and a spread looking at the impact of bombing raids on east London.