Thousands turn out to welcome Royal Anglian Regiment to Romford
Thousands of well-wishers turned out to welcome the 1st Batallion Royal Anglian Regiment to Romford today (Tuesday).
The young and old from Havering and beyond braved the cold to cheer the parading ‘Vikings’.
The march ended in Market Place, Romford, where speeches were made before the troops had a reception in a marquee outside Havering Town Hall.
Click play on the video above to see part of the parade.
In her speech Mayor of Havering, Cllr Lynden Thorpe, said: “As our county infantry battalion we are particularly focused on your service and we recognise the sacrifices that both you and you families have made.
You may also want to watch:
“In particular we remember today your 16 comrades who, since 2002, have been killed in action.
“We think about the bereaved families who have lost someone special. We think about those that come home with life changing injuries and we are reminded of how extraordinary and committed our servicemen and women are.”
- 1 East London police officer charged with rape
- 2 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 3 Brentwood deaths: Teen charged with double murder to appear in court
- 4 Upminster chef named best in the country with award
- 5 'Important' ATMs removed from Romford shopping mall
- 6 ATMs to be reinstalled in shopping mall in 'more prominent location'
- 7 Brentwood Halloween event cancelled following tragic deaths
- 8 End 8am scramble to secure GP appointments, watchdog warns
- 9 Romford man gets community order for causing pensioner's crash death
- 10 Covid-19 cases surge in Havering, latest figures reveal
She added: “We are deeply grateful for your work in defending our nation, protecting our freedom and the freedom of our allies and friends across the world.”
Their commander Lt Col Mick Aston told the Recorder afterwards: “We’re really pleased with the turnout and the support we had from the people of the borough, it was brilliant.
“The troops don’t ask for a lot, but what they really enjoy and what makes them feel extremely proud, is the reception from their friends, family and the community.”
Pick up Friday’s Recorder and keep checking www.romfordrecorder.co.uk to for more from the parade.