Somme centenary: Tragic tales of Romford soldiers who perished
- Credit: EMPICS Sports Photo Agency
Historian Jim Bolton has, for many years, researched the names on Romford War Memorial and the memorial in St Edward the Confessor Church.
In 2014, Jim published St Edward’s War Memorial 1914-20 and, following that, began looking into the 132 names which appear on Romford War Memorial but not the St Edward’s memorial.
He has identified eight Romford men killed on the first day of the Battle of Albert, which began the Somme Offensive.
Speaking of his work, Jim said: “Given that the 1st and 2nd Battalions of the Essex Regiment and the London regiments were heavily involved, there may have been other casualties about whom nothing is known, because neither memorial is a complete record.
“The saddest story is probably that of the 1st Battalion, Royal Newfoundland Regiment, which took part in the attack on Beaumont Hamel with the 1st Essex.
“The Newfoundland battalion was wiped out and an impressive memorial erected. It also marks the place where about one-third of the 1st Battalion, Essex Regiment fell.”
Below, Jim shares the stories of two Romford men killed during the Battle of the Somme.
- 1 Primark confirms 'incident' involving baby in Romford store
- 2 Man murdered two armed teenage boys who had been chasing him, court told
- 3 Application to build eight five-bed chalet bungalows in Havering-atte-Bower
- 4 Romford sexual abuse victim feels 'truly alone' after paedophile given suspended sentence
- 5 Jailed: Hornchurch man found with weapons in Dagenham
- 6 'Increased demand' to blame for overflowing Hornchurch bins, supermarket says
- 7 Plans submitted for 'new housing development' in Hornchurch
- 8 Previous 15% pay cut overridden for some top Havering politicians in restructure
- 9 Free giveaway: Bereaved Hornchurch man to distribute new invention created while wife was terminally ill
- 10 Census 2021: What has changed in your borough since 2011?
Pte John Hasler
John, or Johnsir, Hasler was born in Romford in the autumn of 1893.
His parents were John Hasler, a stoker at Romford gas works, born in Hornchurch, and Emily, who was from Romford.
In 1901, the family was living at 4 Well Yard, Romford.
John was then seven and his sister Priscilla nine.
John Hasler senior died in 1908 and his widow remarried, to George Walter Hunwicks, a coalman.
Johnsir, 16 in 1911, lived with his mother and stepfather at 14 Lower Richmond Road, with Priscilla, now 19 and a worker in the brewery, and his younger brother and sisters, Charles, seven, Emily, nine, and Ivy, five.
His service records have not survived, like those of so many others, but the medal roll shows that he went to France on July 27, 1915 and probably served first in the 2nd (Regular) Battalion, Essex Regiment.
At some point, he was transferred to the 1st (Regular) Battalion, Essex Regiment, which landed in France in March 1916 after service at Gallipoli and in Egypt.
The 1st Battalion was in the 88th Brigade, 29th Division and on July 1, 1916 took part in the attack on Beaumont Hamel with the 1st Battalion, Royal Newfoundland Regiment.
The Newfoundland battalion was completely destroyed, suffering 91 per cent casualties, losing 26 officers and 658 men.
The 1st Essex suffered a third of these losses, including Pte Hasler, whose body was never found.
Rifleman William Hammond
William Hammond was the son of George, a 51-year-old jobbing gardener from Framlingham, Suffolk, living at 6 St James Cottages, Brentwood Road, Romford, in 1911.
His wife Alice Eliza was 52 and came from Ashford, Kent, where their eldest son Frederick, 25 and a postman, was born.
William, then 23, and John, also 23, were born in Woodford; they were probably twins.
Rifleman Hammond was 27 when he enlisted on June 18, 1915.
He stood 5ft 9in, weighed nine stone 7lbs and his chest measurement, when expanded, was 34in.
His occupation was given as a shop assistant.
He had joined the only military unit formed in Romford during the First World War, the 18th (Service) Battalion (Arts and Crafts), King’s Royal Rifle Corps.
Recruiting for the battalion, which was temporarily under the command of Maj Sir Herbert Raphael, of Gidea Park, began on June 4, 1915.
In October 1915, the battalion was attached to 122 Brigade, 41st Division and landed in France on May 3, 1916, at Le Havre.
Rifleman Hammond was killed in action on June 30/July 1, 1916, although the 41st Division’s first major action was not until September 15, 1916 at Flers-Courcelette.
Mr and Mrs Hammond wrote to the Romford Times on August 2, 1916 that they had just lost another son, William, and another son, John, had fallen in action some time ago.
The Hammonds were neighbours of the Whipps family, three of whose sons were also killed in the war.
For more personal stories from the battle, including another shared by Jim and three soldiers researched by Sean Connolly, of the Rainham War Memorial Project, see the free 24-page Somme supplement in today’s Recorder.