Roomes memorabilia on display in Upminster
- Credit: Archant
Upminster residents travelled back in time with a display of never before seen local history at the weekend.
Visitors to the Upminster Tithe Barn open day were able to see an original invitation to the opening of Roomes department store – dated October 1 1927.
One guest was particularly impressed by the invitation, as well as a Roomes mangle from the same era which had been donated to the barn.
Stephen Roome, a member of the family that runs the store, had never seen either before.
Volunteer Andrew Skingley said: “We have donations each time we open and a woman from Upminster said she had a mangle from Roomes which was being used as a garden ornament and another user has give us the invitation for the season.
You may also want to watch:
“Stephen came along and he was amazed because he’d never seen either in the archives.”
Upminster Tithe Barn, in Hall Lane will be open next weekend (Jun 20/21).
- 1 Woman dies after car crash near Upminster
- 2 Romford’s M&S staff go viral with Thriller dance TikTok video
- 3 Brentwood attack: CCTV appeal after man repeatedly kicked in head
- 4 How Romford are you? Test yourself with our quiz
- 5 Disruptions to watch out for in and around Havering next week
- 6 New social housing allocation system for Havering approved
- 7 Still no progress on plans for new health hub at St George's Hospital site
- 8 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 9 Family 'sleeps with one ear open' after repeated flooding in heavy rain
- 10 Consultations open on rolling out school streets to 12 new sites