Romford’s new theatre, the Brookside, makes debut - and calls on community groups to hire it
Tribute acts to legendary singers and actors the Rat Pack will take to the stage as the curtain goes up on Romford’s new theatre.
And now its managers are calling on Havering community groups to join the performers in raising funds for Romford’s historic war memorial – by hiring the venue.
The Brookside, housed in the renovated hall of the Romford War Memorial Social Club on Eastern Road, will begin hosting shows and live music in September. Its events calendar will help fund the ongoing restoration of the club to coincide with its 60th anniversary in October 2013.
Jai Sepple, head of the club’s management committee, said: “With help from local individuals and organisations, we have already been able to do a great deal of work on this beautiful historic building, which had been neglected for so long, and we do sincerely hope it can once again become the friendly and popular community venue that it used to be.
“We already have three senior citizens groups regularly using the premises, a theatre company and, shortly, baby sensory classes – but there are still empty times during the week that we are looking to fill as soon as possible.
You may also want to watch:
“This a great community venue in the heart of Romford that should be taken full advantage of.”
Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin tribute acts Jack Valentine and Dean Ager will be the first performers to tread the boards, with the Rat Pack Lounge show making its debut on Saturday September 8.
- 1 Men sent to prison over death of schoolboy Harvey Tyrrell
- 2 Council cannot 'justify' stronger bollards after fifth crash in 18 months
- 3 Mayoral election 2021: 'Free London' candidate Laurence Fox visits Romford
- 4 Best friends open beauty academy in Romford Shopping Hall
- 5 Bekash restaurant ranked best curry house in Havering on Tripadviser
- 6 Stall holders 'chuffed' as Romford Market reopens
- 7 Shopkeepers and customers celebrate as Romford high streets reopen
- 8 Mayoral election 2021: how will candidates improve east London?
- 9 Fines for Havering landlords who put Dagenham tenants 'in danger'
- 10 Neighbour’s fury as mountain of rubbish piles up outside cottage
“We hope the theatre will be a place where members of the local community can socialise and have a great evening out while at the same time helping us raise money to keep this historic building alive,” added Mr Sepple.
“With plays, musicals, music acts, live comedy, tribute acts, children’s events, workshops and historical talks there will truly be something here for everyone.”
Tickets for the Rat Pack Lounge are available from www.brooksidetheatre.com.
Anyone interested in hiring the space should contact 01708 742862 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.