Romford Royal Anglian Parade: The troops reflect on the turnout and their mission
The soldiers themselves seemed to be humbled by the reaction of the public in Romford, and were pleased to be home.
The regiment’s ten-year mission in Afghanistan has now come to an end.
Pte Lee Kirk, 21, told the Recorder: “Out there I think some people are find it harder than others, but relatives back here know nothing about what we’re doing while we’re there.
“They have to try and continue their lives while worrying about us and looking after kids and everything in their lives. I think it’s kind of harder for them than us.”
Pte Adam Ford, 19, said: “We didn’t expect anyone to turn out to see us really. When you’re away you don’t know how anyone back home is feeling about what you’re doing.”
You may also want to watch:
Sgt Michael Smith, 30, has been in the regiment for 13 years. He said: “The change has been amazing, the Afghan army are extremely professional, far more than people here would believe.”
The regiment’s commander, Lt Col Mick Aston, added: “We were only able to pass over areas to our Afghan counterparts because we had confidence in them.
- 1 Havering parks and gardens five feet under water as rivers burst their banks
- 2 Fines issued to Romford and Upminster restaurants flouting coronavirus restrictions
- 3 Infection rates are now falling in Havering - is lockdown working?
- 4 More than 100 Covid dead at Queen's and King George this week
- 5 Man killed in collision on A13 near Rainham
- 6 Havering and Barking and Dagenham parents 'outraged' at poor quality free school meal replacements
- 7 GPs roll up their sleeves to support colleagues at Queen's Hospital
- 8 Doctors and nurses 'exhausted' as hospitals reach breaking point
- 9 Charity boss hails response after 'army of volunteers' come forward to support vaccine centres
- 10 Pressure on to preserve Upminster trees as council receives almost 200 messages
“It hasn’t been without some hard fighting as well, we faced a very active insurgency, but it is a big achievement for this battalion.”