Nostalgia: Romford ‘little fishers’ on road to cottage hospital
- Credit: Archant
Glimpse the past with our Bygone Havering section.
We want you to share old photographs from around the borough with readers. They could be of local landmarks, residents or family members.
This week we have a photograph of the little fishers with their minders in a horse-drawn boat taking a rest in the carnival procession at the top end of Romford market in the early 1900s.
Their “take” was destined for the Victoria Cottage Hospital in Pettits Lane which, like most cottage hospitals, was heavily spported by the people of its catchment area.
The picture is taken from A Century of Romford, Events, People and Places over the last 100 years by Brian Evans.
Send your pictures and stories to email@example.com or Jane Ball, News Editor, Romford Recorder, 539 High Road, Ilford IG1 1UD.
- 1 Wendy's Romford to open tomorrow
- 2 Eight-storey housing and retail development proposed for centre of Romford
- 3 Mayor of Havering admitted to hospital with Covid-19
- 4 Hornchurch school puts latest outstanding rating down to 'perfect synergy'
- 5 Service users overcharged total of £5m by council accounting 'screw up'
- 6 Woman who 'glued neighbour's door shut' ordered to pay over £600
- 7 Developer submits plan to build 28 houses on rural industrial park
- 8 Police: Blaze in flats with flammable cladding was arson attack
- 9 'Devastated' friends need £36k to help mum with bowel cancer
- 10 Plans to cut up to 600 Tube station jobs amid TfL 'funding crisis'