Nostalgia: Havering in history on May 16, 1955, 1975 and 1995

The Recorder, May 13 1955

The Recorder, May 13 1955 - Credit: Archant

This week in history – 60, 40 and 20 years ago.

Romford and Hornchurch Recorder, May 16 1975

Romford and Hornchurch Recorder, May 16 1975 - Credit: Archant

Sixty years ago

A police station gained an unexpected visitor when a goat was brought in.

The animal was found in Eastern Avenue, so was brought to Gallows Corner police station by a special constable.

A few days later, the goat’s owner turned up to collect it.

Romford Recorder, May 12 1995

Romford Recorder, May 12 1995 - Credit: Archant


A labourer was charged with stealing a woman’s purse.

Most Read

The 52-year-old targeted his victim at Romford Market.

Det Insp W. J. Girt said the woman noticed her purse was missing and saw the man walking away.

She told him, “I felt that” and he returned it.

A woman police officer keeping the man under observation arrested him.


A man told he would be reported for parking his car without lights said, “Give my regards to the chief constable”.

The 36-year-old was later fined £1 at Brentwood Court.


Forty years ago

A Havering Council entertainment manager was seriously injured in a horror crash.

Terry Morrish, halls manager of the council’s recreation and amenities division, was in hospital with two fractured legs and a broken pelvis.

He also had severe internal and facial injuries.

Terry, 40, of Priory Road, Harold Hill, was driving his Renault car when it collided with a Ford Escort on the A127.

He had been going to visit a friend for coffee after a cabaret night at the New Windmill Hall, in Upminster.

John Brown, 22, from Essex, a passenger in the Escort, died after suffering brain damage and severe internal injuries.

Driver Norman Hunter and second passenger Steven Hunter were in “satisfactory” conditions in hospital.

Terry’s passenger Jennifer Brooks, 29, was being treated for internal injuries and a broken nose and jaw.

Terry’s wife Brenda, 36, said: “It was a terrible accident. He’s lucky to be alive and is going to be in hospital for some months.”


A scammer forced an 86-year-old woman to hand over £29.

The cold caller, aged about 26, turned up at the woman’s home in Havering-atte-Bower and said he had come to cut the lawn.

Det Sgt Ken Rogers said: “She was too frightened to refuse, so this bloke brought in an old electric machine and made a mess of cutting the grass, which was wet. “He then demanded £40 from her. When she refused, he became threatening and insisted she pay the money.

“The lady became so frightened she handed over £29 because she thought the man was going to attack her.

“This is the most despicable, outrageous crime I have ever had to deal with in all my years in the force.”


Thieves caused extensive damage to a Cranham bungalow during a raid.

After breaking in, the group discovered that the interior doors were locked and climbed through a trap door into the loft before jumping through the ceiling.


Twenty years ago

A couple told they could never have children naturally were delighted when their third child was born.

Barbara and Peter Arrowsmith had had sons Peter and James eight years previously through fertility treatment, but defied the odds with the birth of Georgie. Barbara, 42, of Gidea Park, said: “We fought for six years to have the twins. We were told by doctors to give up because of problems with my tubes and other medical conditions, which were making it even more difficult to conceive.

“When we had the test tube treatment, it was the last resort and against all the odds it worked. But we were told we could never have a child naturally.

“Then last August I suspected I was pregnant and when a scan found Georgie’s heartbeat we, as well as the doctors, couldn’t believe it.”

Peter said: “The odds against him being here are millions, if not a billion to one.

“They were always massively stacked against us. But, somehow, our little fellow battled through.

“He’s a super, happy little thing and he has made a family who were very close even closer still.”


Veterans came together to mark the 50th anniversary of VE Day.

Crowds converged on the Liberty, in Romford, for a service after a parade went through the town.

The veterans marched from the Royal British Legion headquarters in Western Road to the town centre, with hundreds of people lining the route.

The Salvation Army’s band played songs from the time and Maj Geoff Ashdown praised the bravery of those who fought in the war.

A parade also took place in Hornchurch.


A 23-year-old man with a broken arm was karate kicked in an unprovoked attack.

The victim was walking in High Street, Hornchurch, when he was set upon.

A police spokesman said he dared not retaliate because of his injury and was kicked repeatedly before being punched in the face.