Nostalgia: Bid to stop drinking in Romford fell on deaf ears
- Credit: Archant
In 1881, Romford Brewery covered more than 20 acres of the town, and employed around 800 staff.
Ind Coope and Co’s beer was drunk all over the world, even on polar expeditions.
However, the company’s success did not please everyone. In the 19th century, Britain experienced a revival of traditional Christian values such as charity and clean living. Many people now saw alcohol as one of the great social evils, leading to the formation of temperance associations.
Many charitable organisations such as the Salvation Army adopted temperance as a key principle.
In February 1881, the Salvationists marched into Romford for the first time – to a frosty reception. Their journal The War Cry branded Romford a “brewery-blighted town”, and reported that whilst a few residents were persuaded to give up alcohol, “the people generally are hard and unbelieving”.
The situation soon worsened. On February 16, the Salvationists were marching through Market Place and found their way blocked by a crowd watching a Punch and Judy show outside the Lamb pub.
The crowd hissed at the parade, and refused to move.
- 1 Dispersal order enforced in Romford as crime increases
- 2 Cranham woman ‘near to tears’ after 7.5-hour wait with painful tooth infection
- 3 Man dies after Romford car park incident
- 4 Stakeholders' silence over Romford's The Liberty sale reports
- 5 Estate agency opens first Havering branch in Hornchurch
- 6 Shop worker racially abused in Brentwood Tesco
- 7 Upminster nursery 'deeply disappointed' by Ofsted outcome
- 8 Fried chicken chain Popeyes to open Romford restaurant
- 9 'Partygate' police looking at Havering Council election count complaints
- 10 Harold Hill venue named best banqueting suite of the year with award
A fight then broke out, and local carpenter Job Durrant was pushed into the mud. The parade leader “Captain” John Wood was found guilty of assault at Romford Petty Sessions, and fined 20 shillings plus 18s 6d costs.
Despite their hostile welcome to Romford, the Salvation Army established a church, known as a “corps”, in North Street in October 1881. The November issue of The War Cry shows how the Salvationists believed alcohol was corrupting Romford: “The respectable church and chapel-going man, with wife, dressed in silks, furs, and feathers on one side, going to worship could not even get there without passing, every few yards, a mother with unwashed face and uncombed hair, surrounded by several little shoeless children, the father slowly strolling away, with his short pipe and unlaced boots, to the back way of the nearest public house.”
Today the Romford Salvation Army corps is located in High Street, just a few metres away from where the brewery once stood.
For more information on the Romford Brewery exhibition call 01708 766 571 or email email@example.com.