Mayor of Havering lights beacon on Remembrance Sunday in honour of fallen heroes
- Credit: Archant
To round of this year’s commemorative events in Havering a beacon lighting ceremony was held on the green in Havering-atte-Bower.
More than 300 people witnessed a bugler sounding the Last Post at 6.55pm prior to the mayor of Havering lighting a beacon that became one of a chain of more than 1,000 beacons of light at locations across the UK and UK overseas territories.
Havering’s town crier, Henry Matthews, joined more than 100 fellow town criers in reading out an international cry for peace around the world at 7.05pm.
Following this, the bells at St John the Evangelist Church rang out for peace as part of a celebration marked at more than 1,000 churches and cathedrals across the country.
“The commemorations, services and parades in Havering were a fitting tribute to those who lost their lives and honoured their sacrifices,” said councillor Robert Benham, the deputy leader of Havering Council.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s very clear that local people are marking Remembrance Sunday in ever greater numbers, a century on from the end of World War One.”
The lighting of the beacon ceremony was part of the Nation’s Tribute event held across the country to pay tribute to the millions killed or wounded in battle, and those on the home front who struggled amidst pain and loss to help ensure freedom survived.
- 1 Heritage: How bicycles, manufacturing and gas lights created Roneo Corner
- 2 Mayoral election 2021: how will candidates improve east London?
- 3 Stall holders 'chuffed' as Romford Market reopens
- 4 Council cannot 'justify' stronger bollards after fifth crash in 18 months
- 5 Men sent to prison over death of schoolboy Harvey Tyrrell
- 6 Mayoral election 2021: 'Free London' candidate Laurence Fox visits Romford
- 7 Application for ramp to help man with cerebral palsy is rejected
- 8 Best friends open beauty academy in Romford Shopping Hall
- 9 Havering South is one of the best vaccination teams in the country
- 10 Top Havering pubs open with beer gardens