Flashback: A sad day for the Recorder, dad gives gift of life to son and a death abroad

40-years-ago. Picture: Romford Library

40-years-ago. Picture: Romford Library - Credit: Romford Library

A look back at the biggest local stories from this day 20, 40 and 60 years ago.

60-years-ago. Picture: Romford Library

60-years-ago. Picture: Romford Library - Credit: Romford Library


Fighter for freedom and justice throughout a turbulent life, John Lawrence Dooley, editor of the Romford Recorder for 18 months, died during a political debate on the public platform, scene of so many of his triumphs - he was 55.

Brought up in the hardship of a miner’s home, educating himself by reading the dictionary in the pit, he grew up to be a magnificent orator and brilliant journalist, stepped into the arts.

He used his gifts, despite persecution and suffering, struggling against corruption, injustice, cruelty.

20-years-ago. Picture: Romford Library

20-years-ago. Picture: Romford Library - Credit: Romford Library

Pat Dooley made friends all over the world with people from all walks of life.

He helped many along the political and journalistic pathways.

Most Read


A father’s love gave the gift of life to little Glenn Maloney. Terence Maloney gave one of his kidneys to his nine-year-old son earlier that week and both were recovering in Guys Hospital in London.

For Glenn, it meant the welcome from three days a week on a life-saving dialysis machine and a chance to return to St Ursula RC School in Straight Road, Harold Hill.

For his parents, it meant the happy prospect of seeing their little son grow up strong and healthy. It was fourth time lucky for the little boy who had both kidneys removed earlier that year. The operation had been postponed three times because conditions were not suitable.

Glenn was born with a kidney disease called Medullary cystic but it was not discovered until he was six, when Guy’s Hospital investigated his insatiable thirst.

Mr Maloney said: “If Glenn is unlucky enough to reject my kidney, he will have another chance with my wife Betty.

“I feel really sorry for people who have to wait years for a suitable donor. When I’m fully recovered, I’m going to distribute kidney donor cards and encourage people to carry them around with them.”

1998: A coroner was urging major tour associations not to send holiday makers to apartments with certain types of gas heaters, following the death of a Hornchurch woman.

Janet Smith, of Grey Towers Avenue, died from carbon monoxide poisoning at the Veramar Partments, in Fuengirola, on Spain’s Costa del Sol.

Recording an open verdict, Walthamstor coroner Dr Harold Price, said he was not satisfied inspections carried out abroad were regular or satisfactory. Miss Smith had gone on holiday with friends from the Nason Waters Centre in Hornchurc, which helped people with learning difficulties in 1994.

They had flown with Skytours, part of the Thomson travel group.

On the morning of October 8, Miss Smith was found dead in her apartment. Miss Smith’s mum Shirley said: “My daughter was a robust, keen sportswoman and had won around 30 medals for just about ever sport going. You don’t expect to go on holiday and get killed in your sleep by gas in this day and age.

“I would like to see every gas water heater banned.”