Hornchurch firefighters called to remove long snake from a radiator
PUBLISHED: 11:14 04 September 2015 | UPDATED: 11:14 04 September 2015
The fire brigade are often asked to rescue cats up trees, but this morning Hornchurch station had to deal with a scarier critter.
Just after 2am the firefighters were called to Haynes Park Court, Hornchurch, to remove a metre long Corn Snake from a radiator.
Bill Gough, station watch manager, described the scene: “We entered and found the snake in the radiator amongst plenty of other pet snakes and animals, even some tarantulas.”
He continued: “It was a very long snake of vivid blue and grey.
“It was very scary - lots of hissing and snapping - it was trying to bite everyone.”
One resident sustained electrical shocks while trying to free the serpent and was given medical attention by London Ambulance Service.
Mr Gough confirmed he was not badly injured.
It took half and hour for the firefighters to trap and remove the snake, who mainly dines on mice and rats in the wild.
Mr Gough explained the incident was unique: “We have been out to snakes and other strange animals before but never one stuck in a radiator.”
Figures released by the London Fire Brigade (LFB) last month showed rescuing animals cost the LFB £13,000 a month.
In the last financial year London firefighters were called out to save creatures 557 times.
Cats contributed the most number of incidents, with unfortunate moggies getting stuck on 287 occasions.
Each trip costs at least £295, but the number of rescues is reducing due to publicity by the RSPCA.
The animal welfare charity should always be the pet owner’s first port of call.
Was this your snake? Have your interesting pets got stuck in strange places?
Email email@example.com or call our news desk on 0208 477 3821.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Romford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.