Search

Allardyce baffled after Everton’s Heitinga pulls plug on West Ham transfer

11:17 03 January 2014

John Heitinga of Everton. Photo by Paul Thomas/Getty Images

John Heitinga of Everton. Photo by Paul Thomas/Getty Images

2013 Getty Images

Manager Sam Allardyce was mystified after Everton defender John Heitinga pulled out of a move to West Ham yesterday.

The Dutch international looked set to join the injury-ravaged Hammers having found playing time limited at Goodison Park this season.

But the deal fell through when Heitinga released a statement via his agents saying it wasn’t the right move for him, piling more woe on the relegation-threatened east Londoners.

Allardyce says the move looked certain to happen when he met Heitinga earlier this week, and he was left scratching his head after the 30-year-old’s change of heart.

“I was very hopeful that it was going to be sorted having spent some time with him the other night,” said Allardyce ahead of Sunday’s FA Cup third round clash against Nottingham Forest.

“I don’t know what changed his mind, I suppose only time will tell, but by the time the following morning came he’d had a change of heart and decided it wasn’t for him.”

Related articles

0 comments

Latest Sport Stories

35 minutes ago
George Purcell scores for Hornchurch against East Thurrock (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO)

Ryman Premier: Hornchurch 1 East Thurrock 1

Yesterday, 19:48
Ashley Chambers of Dagenham & Redbridge celebrates scoring the fourth goal against Carlisle United (pic:Dave Simpson/TGSPHOTO)

Victory moves Daggers up to 21st in league table but Burnett insisted they didn’t do anything different compared to previous home matches

Yesterday, 17:59
Everton's Leon Osman celebrates scoring their second goal of the game during the Barclays Premier League match at Goodison Park, Liverpool.

Hammers substitute Mauro Zarate makes big impact but West Ham slip to defeat

Ashley Chambers scored twice to inspire Dagenham & Redbridge to victory (pic:Dave Simpson/TGSPHOTO).

Sky Bet League Two: Dagenham & Redbridge 4 Carlisle United 2

Most read sport

WW100

Click on the banner above for full coverage of the centenary commemorations of the outbreak of the First World War.

News from your area

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Romford Recorder e-edition today E-edition

Protesters have been warned they are banned from setting up camp at the landmark.

John Cantlie features in the new IS video, in which he talks about a recent failed military attack.

From Britain First’s Facebook posts, you would assume they’d won the Rochester by-election. They didn’t, but they’re claiming it anyway.

At 100 years old, this was Ruby Holt’s first visit to the beach – and the first time she saw the ocean.