Hornchurch 2 Brentwood 0: Wall double seals FA Cup win

PUBLISHED: 08:43 20 August 2017

Ross Wall of Hornchurch (pic George Phillipou/TGS Photo)

Ross Wall of Hornchurch (pic George Phillipou/TGS Photo)

©TGS Photo +44 1376 553468

Hornchurch are in the hat for the draw for the first qualifying round of this season’s Emirates FA Cup after beating Bostik North rivals Brentwood Town in an Essex derby at Hornchurch Stadium.

Urchins have never been eliminated as early as the preliminary round in any of their previous 12 campaigns and that statistic continues after Ross Wall’s second-half brace ensured their safe passage, while eliminating Blues at this stage for the second year in a row.

Jimmy McFarlane’s men came into this match on the back of two league victories, against Soham Town Rangers and Grays Athletic respectively, to kick-start their campaign and are yet to concede a goal.

Brentwood began their season with a draw and a defeat and the last time these two sides met each other in the FA Cup was in 2010 where Blues progressed 1-0 in a replay following a goalless draw at the Brentwood Centre.

Hornchurch made one change from Wednesday night’s 2-0 victory at Grays with Wall starting ahead of Leon Mckenzie, who was not in the squad.

Brentwood also made a single change from their midweek game against Potters Bar Town with Kieran English coming in for Matt Hall who dropped down to the bench.

Before the game, a minutes silence was held in memory of the victims of Thursday’s Barcelona terrorist attack and, after a cagey opening, George Purcell attempted to take the game by the scruff of the neck by striking two long rang half-volleys in quick succession but both were held by Anthony Page.

Sam Mott was rarely troubled throughout the whole game but neat build-up play down the right-hand side created a chance for in-form striker Matt Price but he could only put his effort over the bar from Andy Freeman’s pull back after 10 minutes.

Hornchurch believed they should have had a penalty midway through the first half as it appeared that Brentwood’s Luke Foster handled the ball in his own box. But the referee waved play on, much to the home side’s dismay.

It was goalless at the break and not many could argue that it wasn’t the correct scoreline as both teams were feeling each other out.

Wall broke the deadlock just after the hour mark, though, as Jay Porter’s precise cross from the left-hand side was met by the former Thurrock striker whose strong header into the bottom right corner gave the Urchins the ascendency.

Their lead was nearly doubled just three minutes later as Purcell continued to be a menace for Brentwood’s defenders and his darting run into the box resulted in a left-footed effort crashing off the crossbar, much to Town’s relief.

Hornchurch rode their luck a little, though, after 78 minutes as Town hit the woodwork twice in the same passage of play when a corner was swung in and was met by substitute Jack Gardner, whose header struck the bar. After Hornchurch half-cleared, the ball was dangerously played back in for Gardner to swing his leg at it and saw it hit the outside of Mott’s right post.

However, Hornchurch’s lead was eventually doubled inside the last 10 minutes of the match and it was a carbon copy of the first with the same combination paying off once more.

Porter’s cross was met by a diving header from Wall in the centre of the box, with him scoring his third goal of the season after just three games.

Hornchurch looked to add to their lead late on and during the fourth minute of stoppage time, substitute Tobi Joseph robbed former Urchin Luke Stanley of the ball in the middle of Town’s half and dribbled to the edge of the box.

Stanley was trying to make amends and cynically brought down Joseph and was cautioned by referee Richard Carter, but the resulting free-kick from Brad Warner was wide of the mark.

The draw for the next round takes place on Monday, before Hornchurch return to league action next Saturday at Bury Town whilst Brentwood Town are at home to Norwich United.

Hornchurch: Mott, Bentley, Porter, Lee, Cooper, Chouman, Fairweather-Johnson (Joseph 70), Styles (c), Wall, Purcell (Hursit 89), Warner.

Unused Subs: Tuohy, Hussain, Goodacre.

Bookings: Styles 57.

Brentwood Town: Page, Pugsley, Foster, Jones, O’Rawe (c), Cavalier, Hilton (Hilder 68), English (Bademosi 68), Price (Gardner 77), Stanley, Freeman.

Unused Subs: Martin, Rees, Hall, Baker.

Bookings: Jones 62, Hilder 88, Stanley 90+4.

Referee: Richard Carter.

Attendance: 309.


Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Romford Recorder visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Romford Recorder staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Romford Recorder account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Latest Romford Sports News

36 minutes ago

Jordan Wigham praised the display of 17-year-old Tyler Ford off the bench


Gale Street outfit lost 38-24 away from home on Saturday

Hammers youngster comes through his troubles to show true class


Everyone Active Raiders import forward Filip Sedivy was delighted to bag his first goal for the club’s in their narrow 3-2 victory against Streatham IHC.

Are we buying Perez excuse for not coming on at Everton?

Hornchurch’s former captain praised Billy Gordon and the signing of Muhammad Irfan


St Mary’s Lane club collected a 38-24 success on Saturday


Everyone Active Raiders have been rocked by the new of three potential long-term injuries to Mason Webster, Sean Barry and Ollie Baldock.


Vauxhall has completed its sport utility vehicle range with the third, and largest, Grandland X. We put the SUV, now available at Tony LeVoi in Romford, to the test.

“The time to repair the roof is when the sun is shining,” so the saying goes. So if some warm weather is making your conservatory uninhabitable, think about replacing its roof with a flat one and adding a roof lantern instead.

The next step in renewable energy could be right beneath your feet as you walk through a Romford shopping centre.

Newsletter Sign Up

Romford Recorder twice-weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Most read sport

Show Job Lists

Education Promo

News from your area

Digital Edition


Enjoy the
Romford Recorder
e-edition today


Education and Training


Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now