Oliver Hawkins reveals Dagenham & Redbridge were told off after disappointing first half against Wealdstone
10:30 19 October 2016
©TGS Photo tgsphoto.co.uk +44 1376 553468
Daggers striker admits opening 45 minutes against Stones was not good enough from squad
Striker Oliver Hawkins says Dagenham & Redbridge were given some stern words at the interval after a sluggish first half against National League South outfit Wealdstone in their FA Cup fourth qualifying round clash on Saturday.
Daggers went into the break level at 1-1 with Stones after Fejiri Okenabirhie’s opener for the hosts at Victoria Road was cancelled out by Matty Whichelow’s deflected effort.
Whatever was said to the Essex club at the break clearly did the trick as they regained the lead through Hawkins five minutes into the second half before Jordan Maguire-Drew sealed the win in the 75th minute.
Daggers’ reward for their progress was a home tie in the first round against Halifax Town, due to be played on the weekend of November 5, but Hawkins openly admits the Victoria Road side’s display in the opening 45 minutes was not up to standard.
“We started slowly and in the first half, we weren’t at our best. We didn’t show what we are capable of going forward,” said Hawkins.
“We had a bit of a telling off at half time, and in the second half we did what we know we can do and the goals came.”
Hawkins has become known for his goalscoring prowess this season, even if he had been on a four-game drought before nabbing his 11th of the campaign in all competitions on Saturday.
However, the ex-Hemel Hempstead Town striker’s link-up play has also improved this season, as demonstrated by playing in Okenabirhie for the opener, though he admits there was a touch for fortune regarding the pass.
“I was a bit lucky to get the ball through the defenders legs for the assist, but a goal is a goal and I’m happy with the assist,” added Hawkins.