Captian Scott Doe urges Dagenham & Redbridge squad not to let off-field issues disrupt them ahead of Gateshead clash
PUBLISHED: 18:00 11 November 2016
©TGS Photo tgsphoto.co.uk +44 1376 553468
Daggers defender says team must focus on pitch rather than goings on in boardroom
Dagenham & Redbridge skipper Scott Doe says it is important the squad do not let the current boardroom uncertainty affect their displays on the pitch.
News broke on Wednesday that the board had withdrawn support for a bid to take over the club from the Glenn Tamplin-led consortium, who in turn then withdrew their offer.
Previous statements from the board stated the club are in need of swift investment, but they said after Wednesday’s news that they have put in place measures to ensure they are still in a good place for the short-term future.
The off-field issues have meant Daggers’ preparations for their National League clash at home to Gateshead have not been ideal, but Doe says it is important it does not distract the players from winning matches.
“There’s no hiding from the fact that you will hear things, and even if you don’t want to hear them, you will, because everyone has access to the internet, Twitter and things like that,” said Doe.
“It is tough, but the manager is assuring people that we don’t have to worry about anything and that is it.
“We have a lot of young players, so they need to know where they stand, but it’s even more credit to us because it hasn’t affected people.
“Young players could easily get affected by, for instance, ‘am I going to get paid?’ and things like that, which could play on their minds. It hasn’t, we’ve still done well and we’re still joint-second.
“It’s been a great start to the season for us and with all this going on, hopefully it gets sorted sooner rather than later.
“But the manager has assured us there is nothing for us to worry about and it’s down to us to do the job on the pitch.”
There is also likely to be some change on the pitch too tomorrow (Saturday) as central midfielder Andre Boucaud is again away on international duty with Trinidad & Tobago.
The 31-year-old has started every game he has been available for this season, meaning Daggers have a hole to fill alongside Matt Robinson.
Luke Howell filled in there when Boucaud was away last month, but he is now injured, while a shortage of defenders means it is unlikely that Frankie Raymond will move forward from left-back.
It means there could well be a full debut for Scott Heard after joining from Folkestone Invicta last month, and Doe has backed the new man to shine if he is given the nod.
“It’s a chance for someone and if it’s ‘Heardy’, hopefully he takes it. This is why you have a squad and everyone is a part of it,” added the centre-back.
“If he gets his chance, I know he’ll take it and I’ve been impressed with what I’ve seen of him in training. If he comes in, hopefully he does the job.
“Whenever ‘Boucs’ gets a call-up, it’s a good thing for him and it’s a chance for someone else to come into the team and stamp their authority. ‘Boucs’ will be a miss, but we’ve had it before this season, so we know how to deal with it.”
This weekend also marks the start of a run of six games in 17 days for Daggers, who travel to Halifax Town for their FA Cup first-round replay on Tuesday.
But Doe has backed the squad to come through the gruelling run, even if injuries mean boss John Still is unable to rotate his squad as much as he’d like to.
“Ideally we would have wanted to beat Halifax at home and not have the replay and the journey, but it wasn’t to be,” added Doe.
“This is why you have a squad, but it’ll be tough because of the injuries we have. We still have enough fit players looking good in training so that run won’t be a problem for us.”