Wanstead earn Essex League T20 Cup glory with comprehensive win over Upminster

PUBLISHED: 20:30 16 July 2017 | UPDATED: 10:55 20 July 2017

Wanstead celebrate with the Essex T20 Cup shield after beating Upminster in the final at Billericay's Toby Howe ground

Wanstead celebrate with the Essex T20 Cup shield after beating Upminster in the final at Billericay's Toby Howe ground


The Herons defeated Brentwood in a dramatic semi-final earlier in the day, while Upminster saw off rivals Hornchurch before losing the final

Wanstead captain Joe Ellis-Grewal lifts the Essex T20 Cup shieldWanstead captain Joe Ellis-Grewal lifts the Essex T20 Cup shield

Wanstead clinched their second Essex League T20 Cup title in four years following a professional performance over Premier Division rivals Upminster in the final at Billericay’s Toby Howe ground.

The Herons scored 184-5 off their 20 overs and it proved too much for Matt Tigg’s team, as they were dismissed for 82 with four overs to spare.

Upminster had produced a sensational display to see off old foes Hornchurch in the semi-finals earlier in the day.

Shahbaz Butt smashed 50 in quick time, as they reached 65-0 off seven overs before the opener was out caught behind off the bowling of Marc Whitlock.

Louis Pickering departed soon after, but Alan Ison and Frankie Hazle put on 39 for the third wicket and kept the scoreboard ticking over.

When Hazle went, Upminster were 116-3 with six overs left and Hornchurch briefly threatened to peg them back.

Ison had other ideas, however, and played brilliantly to finish unbeaten on 76 and help his team reach 190-3.

It looked too much for Hornchurch and John Curtis helped Upminster get off to fine start by having Paul Murray caught behind.

Billy Gordon went to a fine catch from Shafiq Rahman soon after before Chris Sains (38) and Ronnie Saunders (67) steadied the ship.

But just as the pair were approaching a century partnership for the third wicket, Pickering claimed two wickets in an over.

Upminster remained in control despite Saunders hitting fifty and eventually claimed a 46-run victory to book their spot in the final.

It was less straight-forward for Wanstead in the last four, as they edged Brentwood in a thrilling encounter.

Zain Shahzad (15) and Hassan Chowdhury (31) got the Herons off to a good start, but a fine spell of bowling from Charlie Griffiths (3-12) saw Joe Buttleman’s team get on top.

Brentwood picked up wickets at regular intervals and it took an unbeaten 31 from Aron Nijjar to help Wanstead set a competitive total of 131-9.

Mo Fayyaz Khan then had Guy Balmford out for a duck at the start of the chase, but Aaron West and Will Buttleman played magnificently from that moment onwards.

The dismissal of Will Buttleman for 33, brilliantly caught by Tom Cummins, off the bowling of Ellis-Grewal briefly turned the tide for Wanstead.

West was still going along nicely, however, but Joe Buttleman was forced to retire hurt with 23 balls remaining after taking a sickening whack to the neck.

The Brentwood captain had the misfortune of getting in the way of a drive by team-mate West and after bravely trying to recover, he had to call it a day.

With West at the crease, Brentwood still looked in control, but some excellent fielding by Wanstead tilted the balance back in their favour.

A dramatic last over occurred and after smashing 10 runs off Shahzad’s first three balls, West was then run-out by Kishen Velani for an excellent 78.

It left Brentwood needing four off the last two balls, but the Herons kept their cool to seal a dramatic two-run success.

Following a short break, the final got underway at 3pm with Wanstead batting first after Ellis-Grewal won the toss.

Shahzad, only batting at two because regular opener Arfan Akram was away, smashed six fours and two sixes during a fine innings of 54 to get Herons off to a flier.

Feroze Khushi played patiently at three while Velani picked destructively, as Wanstead took control in the final.

Velani departed for a 21-ball 41 and Upminster fought back towards the end of the Wanstead innings.

Curtis bowled a tight last over of his spell, conceding just two runs, but Khushi scored an unbeaten 54 and helped Herons reach 184-5 off their 20 overs.

It was a great score on a relatively slow wicket and with Fayyaz Khan showing his experience at the start of Upminster’s chase.

The Wanstead spinner bowled a superb tight spell and removed Butt and Ison to finish with 2-3.

With 18-3 off 3.4 overs, Hazle looked to bat patiently with fellow youngster Julian Whetstone, but was stumped for 11 by Jonathan Das.

Whetstone and Alex Kirkpatrick briefly rebuilt the innings and helped put on 29 for the fifth wicket, but Velani had Kirkpatrick out for just 12 and the writing seemed on the wall.

Wanstead youngster Jack Lord was then given a chance and grasped it by taking the final five wickets to fall at Toby Howe.

Lord ended up with 5-14 off his four overs, as Tigg’s Upminster were dismissed for 82 to hand Ellis-Grewal’s team the 2017 T20 crown.

Related articles


Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Romford Recorder visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Romford Recorder staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Romford Recorder account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Latest Romford Sports News

Yesterday, 22:15

Raiders skated to victory over their Peterborough rivals in National League Division Two on Saturday.

Hornchurch picked up only a second point in six Bostik Premier outings with a hard fought draw against high-flying Worthing.

Everyone Active Raiders came back from two goals down in the final period before snatching a thrilling overtime win over National League leaders Bracknell at Romford’s Sapphire Ice & Leisure Centre.

Yesterday, 18:06

Stopper became a father for second time just hours before winning man of the match award in win over Fylde

Yesterday, 17:01

Vanarama National League: Dagenham & Redbridge 2 (Wilkinson 28, Munns 64) Fylde 1 (Bond 1)

Fri, 14:00

Hornchurch manager Jimmy McFarlane says his side are not a million miles away from breaking their bad run of form in recent weeks.

Fri, 12:00

Boro were without a competitive game last Saturday, instead taking on landlords East Thurrock United in a friendly

Fri, 11:00

East Women’s One South: Upminster 7 Chelmsford seconds 0


From November, The Mercury in Romford begins to celebrate Christmas. The mall has plenty of gift ideas, fun events and activities for everyone

Vauxhall has completed its sport utility vehicle range with the third, and largest, Grandland X. We put the SUV, now available at Tony LeVoi in Romford, to the test.

“The time to repair the roof is when the sun is shining,” so the saying goes. So if some warm weather is making your conservatory uninhabitable, think about replacing its roof with a flat one and adding a roof lantern instead.

Newsletter Sign Up

Romford Recorder twice-weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Most read sport

Show Job Lists

Education Promo

News from your area


A Romford photographer impressed the judges of a national creative photography competition with a picture of a stunning sunset.

Digital Edition


Enjoy the
Romford Recorder
e-edition today


Education and Training


Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now