Search

Women ‘lucky’ to escape house fire

11:37 28 January 2014

There was evidence of hoarding throughout the Sidcup property.

There was evidence of hoarding throughout the Sidcup property.

sub

Two women were described as “lucky” after they woke up during a small electrical house fire.

Fire crews from Hornchurch and Harold Hill arrived at the smoke-filled semi-detached house in Ashvale Gardens, Cranham, at about 4am this morning.

Two women of about 40 were waiting outside for the firefighters, who at first could not detect the source of the smoke.

It was found using thermal imaging cameras as coming from electrical cables underneath the floorboards – which may have been chewed on by rats or mice and then set fire to debris.

The women were fine and the damage was minimal, but watch manager Soundy said it could have been worse.

“They were a lucky that it hadn’t developed to more and that they woke up,” he said.

Crews left the scene at 5.30am.

0 comments

Latest News Stories

Yesterday, 18:33

As fireworks light up the skies above Havering, firefighters have walked out in a strike that has been described as putting “people’s lives at risk”.

Yesterday, 17:45
Enjoy firework displays being held across the borough.

Get into the bonfire spirit with firework nights across the borough.

Yesterday, 17:37

A 28-year-old woman spent five hours trapped in her bathroom after the door’s lock failed to open.

Yesterday, 14:23
The Queen's Theatre has launched a video asking people to support the venue in saying no to cuts being made to their funding.

Queen’s Theatre has released a video plea to its supporters to help it make Havering Council reconsider a proposed funding cut of £200,000.

Most read news

WW100

Click on the banner above for full coverage of the centenary commemorations of the outbreak of the First World War.

News from your area

“Space is hard and today was a tough day.”

One pilot is dead and another seriously injured after the craft exploded over the Mojave desert.

One pilot has died and another is seriously injured after a rocket belonging to billionaire Sir Richard Branson’s space tourism venture crashed during a test flight. Virgin Galactic’s SpaceShipTwo rocket came down in the Mojave Desert in California. An eyewitness reported that the craft exploded in flight after ignition. A Virgin Galactic spokesman said the […]

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Romford Recorder e-edition today E-edition