Search

Woman, 78, in hospital after house fire in Balgores Square, Gidea Park

PUBLISHED: 11:46 25 February 2013 | UPDATED: 11:47 25 February 2013

sub

Firefighters say a woman had a “lucky escape” after she re-entered her burning home to try and put out the blaze with buckets of water.

The 78-year-old suffered smoke inhalation and had to be taken to Queen’s Hospital, Romford, by ambulance.

It is believed last night’s fire in Balgores Square, Gidea Park, was started by an electrical fault in an extension socket.

The blaze damaged per cent of the woman’s second-floor flat and 21 firefighters from Romford, Hornchurch, Wennington and Harold Hill spent more than an hour getting it under control.

London Fire Brigade’s borough commander for Havering, Chris Drew, said: “This lady had a very lucky escape. When she discovered the fire she went back inside the flat to try and put it out with buckets of water herself. Our advice is always to get out, stay out and call 999.

“We don’t believe this lady had a smoke alarm, either. It’s absolutely essential that you have a working smoke alarm in your home and test it regularly. They can buy you vital seconds to escape in the event of a fire.”

Do you know the woman or those who helped her? Contact the news desk on 020 8477 3903.

0 comments

Latest Romford News Stories

Yesterday, 16:35

Three men from Romford have been arrested on suspicion of murdering a 19-year-old in Redbridge during a raid in the early hours of this morning.

Yesterday, 14:00

People may have woken up to an unpleasant surprise this morning when direct debits on rent payments to Havering Council were taken out early.

Yesterday, 12:47

An annual Easter fun day in Collier Row will still go ahead despite the demolition of an old community centre.

Yesterday, 10:50

A man was found hanged in a park on Tuesday last week.

Yesterday, 07:00

A former alcoholic is helping vulnerable and homeless people to turn their lives around by offering free haircuts to boost their self esteem.

Mon, 19:02

Two men needed hospital treatment for injuries last night following a reported altercation in Rainham.

Mon, 17:21

A man appeared in court today after a Ferrari parked on a drive was left “burnt out” in a suspected arson attack.

Mon, 15:39

A woman will be taking part in a charity fun run in Hyde Park on Sunday in memory of her son who died after suffering a stroke at the age of 18.

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Most read news

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

News from your area

Competitions

Having a brand new kitchen is something that lots of people want but can only dream of. Sadly keeping up to date and making our living spaces as nice as they can be is a costly and incredibly stressful business. Even a fresh coat of paint makes all the difference but isn’t easy or quick.

Who wouldn’t love the chance to go on a shopping spree. Imagine being able to walk into a shop and choose whatever your heart desires without having to worry about how much it costs.

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Romford Recorder
e-edition today

Subscribe

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now