Search

Woman, 78, in hospital after house fire in Balgores Square, Gidea Park

11:46 25 February 2013

sub

Firefighters say a woman had a “lucky escape” after she re-entered her burning home to try and put out the blaze with buckets of water.

The 78-year-old suffered smoke inhalation and had to be taken to Queen’s Hospital, Romford, by ambulance.

It is believed last night’s fire in Balgores Square, Gidea Park, was started by an electrical fault in an extension socket.

The blaze damaged per cent of the woman’s second-floor flat and 21 firefighters from Romford, Hornchurch, Wennington and Harold Hill spent more than an hour getting it under control.

London Fire Brigade’s borough commander for Havering, Chris Drew, said: “This lady had a very lucky escape. When she discovered the fire she went back inside the flat to try and put it out with buckets of water herself. Our advice is always to get out, stay out and call 999.

“We don’t believe this lady had a smoke alarm, either. It’s absolutely essential that you have a working smoke alarm in your home and test it regularly. They can buy you vital seconds to escape in the event of a fire.”

Do you know the woman or those who helped her? Contact the news desk on 020 8477 3903.

0 comments

Latest News Stories

51 reports were made to police

Reports relating to as many as 18 brothels have been made to Havering Police in the past year, new figures show.

Yesterday, 18:33

As fireworks light up the skies above Havering, firefighters have walked out in a strike that has been described as putting “people’s lives at risk”.

Yesterday, 17:45
Enjoy firework displays being held across the borough.

Get into the bonfire spirit with firework nights across the borough.

Yesterday, 17:37

A 28-year-old woman spent five hours trapped in her bathroom after the door’s lock failed to open.

Most read news

WW100

Click on the banner above for full coverage of the centenary commemorations of the outbreak of the First World War.

News from your area

The billionaire businessman is joining his team in the Mojave desert.

“Space is hard and today was a tough day.”

One pilot is dead and another seriously injured after the craft exploded over the Mojave desert.

One pilot has died and another is seriously injured after a rocket belonging to billionaire Sir Richard Branson’s space tourism venture crashed during a test flight. Virgin Galactic’s SpaceShipTwo rocket came down in the Mojave Desert in California. An eyewitness reported that the craft exploded in flight after ignition. A Virgin Galactic spokesman said the […]

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Romford Recorder e-edition today E-edition