Search

William Hunter Way development deal scrapped by Brentwood officials

15:03 04 February 2014

Plans for a new cinema and retail development in William Hunter Way are set to be refused due to concerns that it is a bad deal for taxpayers.

Brentwood Borough Council has decided to reject the scheme proposed by developer Stockland in a council meeting on January 31.

It seems that negotiations fell through after an agreement could not be made over the retail price index element of the deal which would have kept the rent owed to the council at 2013 levels in 150 years’ time.

The authority had committed £300,000 in planning and negotiating the project which has been mulled over for the last nine years.

The development was due to boast a six-screen cinema, a TK Maxx, a Marks and Spencer and a multi-storey car park.

The council also voiced concerns over whether Stockland would be able to deliver the scheme.

The Leader of Brentwood Borough Council, Cllr Louise McKinlay, said: “We have always said that our priority has been to deliver the right deal for the residents of Brentwood – one that will boost local businesses, attract further investment and enhance the town centre.

“We had a contractual obligation with Stockland and we’ve taken independent advice throughout to ensure that we approached these negotiations in a correct and professional manner that minimises risk to the council.

“The easy thing to do would have been to just sign but that would not have been in Brentwood’s interest and I have always said that I would do what’s best for Brentwood.”

Lead councillor for the scheme, Cllr Keith Parker, added: “It’s frustrating to have got this close to an agreement but signing would have been selling Brentwood short and we would have been negligent to agree to a financial package that didn’t give Brentwood a good financial return in years to come. It was a difficult but right decision to make.”

0 comments

Latest News Stories

We Are FSTVL

From winning Best New Festival at the UK Festival Awards 2013, We Are FSTVL returns for its third year bigger and better then ever, drawing in some of the best electronic acts from around the world.

21:20
Jason Graham missing since May 28

Police have appealed for help in tracing a 44-year-old Romford man missing since yesterday.

Rubbish on a Abellio Greater Anglia train from Shenfield to London Liverpool Street earlier this year.

Rail passengers claim they have been bitten by fleas while travelling on Abellio Greater Anglia trains.

Bob Knowles outside his Micropub in Upminster which is facing planning objections from the council

‘You would think we were selling crack cocaine instead of a glass of ale.’

Most read news

News from your area

WW100

Click on the banner above for full coverage of the centenary commemorations of the outbreak of the First World War.

Competitions

Time to expand with the LeefiBRIDGE.

More iOS memory in a flash: Introducing Leef iBRIDGE.

The sell out 2014 event 32 Londoners, returns to the Coca-Cola London Eye!

The Coca-Cola London Eye is proud to announce that 32 Londoners will be returning this June, following last year’s sell out event. The event will feature 32 talks, in each of the London Eye’s 32 capsules on 32 extraordinary Londoners.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Romford Recorder e-edition today E-edition
Family Notices 24


Our trusted business finder