Search

Two escape blaze after crystal ball starts fire at Noak Hill home

12:27 25 February 2014

Daniel Hyde-Jones in the room where the fire started.

Daniel Hyde-Jones in the room where the fire started.

Archant

A man and woman escaped their home unharmed after a fire was started - by a crystal ball.

The sun’s rays refracted through the ornament setting light to the curtains, before spreading to the rest of the room, at the house in Waterside Close, Harold Wood, on Saturday.

The residents attempted to tackle the fire with a garden hose and towels before realising the fire was too severe and calling the brigade.

The man had been asleep after a night shift and was woken up by a smoke alarm.

Now firefighters are reminding people not to keep glass bottles or ornaments on window sills following the blaze.

Fire investigation officer, Mick Boyle from London Fire Brigade, said: “The blaze caused severe damage to the bedroom but thankfully no one was hurt. The man, who was asleep in the bedroom when the fire started, was woken up by the smoke alarm going off. That smoke alarm saved his life – he could easily have slept through and been overcome by smoke.

“You can’t predict the future, but you can prevent this type of fire by keeping glass ornaments, mirrors, and bottles away from sunny window sills.

“You should never try and fight a fire yourself – they can develop very quickly and you can really put yourself in danger. Garden hoses and towels are never going to be enough to extinguish a blaze like this, so the best thing you can do is close the door on the fire, get out, stay out, and dial 999.”

Fire crews were called at 3.49pm and the blze was under control at 4.46pm.

0 comments

Latest News Stories

Yesterday, 15:00
Mayor of havering, Cllr Linda Trew comissioned Havering College of Further and Higher Education,  students to create a float. for the New Year’s Day Parade,

The mayor of Havering will dazzle spectators of the New Year’s Day Parade as she travels through the streets of London in a vintage steam train and carriage thanks to Havering College construction students.

Yesterday, 12:00
Christmas jumpers raised enough to build a classroom for less fortunate children

As term came to a close and the ho-ho-holidays were due to start one school allowed its lucky pupils to really get into the festive spirit.

Yesterday, 09:00
CM Atkinson from the Harold Hill Fire Station (photo: Arnaud Stephenson)

One mum-of-two proves that being a woman doesn’t make a difference when it comes to fighting fires and saving lives.

Fri, 16:25
Deck the halls with boughs of holly - and doughnuts  (photo: Arnaud Stephenson)

“You wouldn’t want to eat one, really – I’ve tried about four and even I don’t like them.”

Most read news

WW100

Click on the banner above for full coverage of the centenary commemorations of the outbreak of the First World War.

News from your area

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Romford Recorder e-edition today E-edition

And they have a role to play in saving their species.

Twinkle, twinkle you little stars – thanks for making your homes so festive.

Offers for university places are at a record high.