Search

Two escape blaze after crystal ball starts fire at Noak Hill home

PUBLISHED: 12:27 25 February 2014 | UPDATED: 16:36 28 February 2014

Daniel Hyde-Jones in the room where the fire started.

Daniel Hyde-Jones in the room where the fire started.

Archant

A man and woman escaped their home unharmed after a fire was started - by a crystal ball.

The sun’s rays refracted through the ornament setting light to the curtains, before spreading to the rest of the room, at the house in Waterside Close, Harold Wood, on Saturday.

The residents attempted to tackle the fire with a garden hose and towels before realising the fire was too severe and calling the brigade.

The man had been asleep after a night shift and was woken up by a smoke alarm.

Now firefighters are reminding people not to keep glass bottles or ornaments on window sills following the blaze.

Fire investigation officer, Mick Boyle from London Fire Brigade, said: “The blaze caused severe damage to the bedroom but thankfully no one was hurt. The man, who was asleep in the bedroom when the fire started, was woken up by the smoke alarm going off. That smoke alarm saved his life – he could easily have slept through and been overcome by smoke.

“You can’t predict the future, but you can prevent this type of fire by keeping glass ornaments, mirrors, and bottles away from sunny window sills.

“You should never try and fight a fire yourself – they can develop very quickly and you can really put yourself in danger. Garden hoses and towels are never going to be enough to extinguish a blaze like this, so the best thing you can do is close the door on the fire, get out, stay out, and dial 999.”

Fire crews were called at 3.49pm and the blze was under control at 4.46pm.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Latest Romford News Stories

Yesterday, 18:00

A busking duo is gearing up to impress a panel of judges to make it through to the grand final of a London-wide competition which celebrates street music.

Yesterday, 15:31

A primary school will celebrate the beginning of another year in September with new pupils and a brand new name to match.

Yesterday, 12:41

A special ground breaking ceremony was held last week to celebrate the start of ground works on a new state-of-the-art purpose built school.

Yesterday, 11:12

A driver who failed to stop at the scene of a crash, which killed a speeding 23-year-old motorcyclist, has been given a fourth month suspended sentence.

Yesterday, 07:00

A perverted teenager who sexually assaulted two women and girls aged 11 and 13 in Havering parks has been handed a 12 month referral order.

Mon, 19:01

Due to a trespass incident between Chadwell Heath and Romford, all lines are curently blocked.

Mon, 18:06

The final acts and entertainment of the borough’s biggest summer event, the Havering Show, have been unveiled.

Mon, 15:06

Not enough was done to shut down an alleged illegal rave where two men were shot and another stabbed this weekend, angry residents claim.

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Most read news

Show Job Lists

News from your area

Competitions

Having a brand new kitchen is something that lots of people want but can only dream of. Sadly keeping up to date and making our living spaces as nice as they can be is a costly and incredibly stressful business. Even a fresh coat of paint makes all the difference but isn’t easy or quick.

Who wouldn’t love the chance to go on a shopping spree. Imagine being able to walk into a shop and choose whatever your heart desires without having to worry about how much it costs.

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Romford Recorder
e-edition today

Subscribe

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now