South Hornchurch couple narrowly avoid being struck by lightning
14:10 15 August 2014
2011 Getty Images
An elderly couple avoided being struck by lightning when it punched through their roof and went straight into their bedroom, a firefighter said.
The family next door were fortunately out at the time when the bolt struck the two homes in Princes Park, South Hornchurch, yesterday.
Fire crews from Hornchurch station attended at around 2.45pm after they received reports of smoke coming from the building.
When they arrived they found no blaze but tiles had been thrown from the roofs and a chimney had been damaged.
A firefighter who attended the scene said how the elderly couple were lucky to have been downstairs when the bolt entered their bedroom.
“It could’ve been far worse but it did leave them with two holes in their roof with rain pouring in,” he said. “They were a bit shook up but they were fine.”
If your house was struck, contact Sam on 0208 477 3892 or firstname.lastname@example.org