October 25 2014 Latest news:
by Sam Gelder
Thursday, July 10, 2014
A supermarket appears to have stitched itself up after a customer found a sewing needle lodged in the side of a button mushroom.
Linda Day, of Heaton Grange, Harold Hill, purchased the sealed packet of Farm Fresh vegetables from the Aldi store in Market Place, Romford.
While cooking dinner the next day, the mother-of-two was shocked to find the needle, “about 3cm long,” sticking out of one of the mushrooms.
“I went to wash them and saw a sewing needle sticking out of one and thought ‘what the heck?’ It was so random.”
“If I hadn’t washed it I would have dropped it straight in the spaghetti bolognese, which I was making for my children.
“My daughter is nine and my son is 14, they could have cut their mouth or swallowed it.”
After taking photos for proof and sending them off to Aldi, Linda is now warning customers to beware and check their fresh pre-packed produce.
“I want to know what happened, and how it got in there” said the 41-year-old.
Linda, who usually shops at the Aldi store on the A12 in Romford, had visited the Market Place store for the first time because it “looked nice.”
But the chances of her returning to the outlet are threadbare following her underwhelming first experience.
“I won’t be going back there”, she stated. “But I will still shop at Aldi, as it’s much cheaper than Tesco nowadays.”
Giles Hurley, managing director of corporate buying at Aldi, said: “We take such claims extremely seriously and have investigated this extensively.
“These mushrooms are hand-picked and sorted by highly trained and experienced staff. We believe this to be an isolated issue.”