December 12 2013 Latest news:
Lee-Ann Richards, Reporter
Monday, February 25, 2013
There were jubilant scenes in the town hall after councillors threw out plans for a residential development in Romford.
The committee voted to refuse planning permission for the development in Cross Road, Romford at the Regulatory Services Committee meeting on Thursday February 21.
Cllr Ron Ower (RA, Upminster) said: “This is not in keeping with the rest of the area and I think that a refusal is the only way forward.
“It is just going to have too much of an impact on residents already living in the area.”
The proposals included the demolition of an existing dwelling and the erection of a two storey block of six apartments in its place.
The plans would have also included a parking area and cycle storage and bin refuse storage.
But earlier, the committee heard objections from residents who were against it because they believed that it was on a flood risk area.
Christine Stannard said: “These flats are being planned on a high risk flood area.
“The flats are just going to put added pressure on the area and we do not want any more pressure put on the land because we don’t want our homes flooded.”
Cllr Osman Dervish (Con, Mawneys) also raised the same concerns.
He said: “Looking at the map, you can see how close it is to the lake.
“This is a lake that is full of water and this is important to take that into consideration when making a decision.”
He added: “Something also has to be done if this application is passed, to address the loss of privacy for residents.”
Havering Council had received seven objection letters to the proposals on the grounds that it would overlook neighbouring properties, would affect views from existing properties and would exacerbate flooding issues in the local area.
Three men will today go on trial at Snaresbrook Crown Court for the rape of a woman in Romford last year.