Local Weather

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 19°C

min temp: 9°C

Five-day forecast

Rainham school’s expansion a ‘rash decision to meet targets’

Thursday, July 3, 2014
5:00 PM

Parents have been granted a reprieve on a school expansion that they say will reduce facilities and potentially endanger children.

To send a link to this page to a friend, you must be logged in.

Plans to almost double the size of Parsonage Farm Primary School, in Rainham, have been sent back to Havering Council’s cabinet to be reconsidered after they were called in by two opposition councillors.

At a meeting of the council’s overview and scrutiny committee last week, parents argued the plans were unsuitable.

Claire Smith, who has two children at the school, said: “We feel that this expansion is a rash decision to meet targets that has not considered the full impact on the pupils and the local area.”

During a consultation period 66 objections were received. Concerns raised include road safety, the space and facilities at the school and the effect of rapid expansion on its ethos.

Parents’ concerns were reiterated by Independent Residents’ Group member Cllr David Durant. He called on the council to consider alternatives to the creation of a “super-size” primary.

The planned expansion, which would see the school increase its 486 places to 840 from September 2015, is part of a borough-wide policy to increase capacity for primary-age pupils.

Decisions about three of the nine schools planned for expansion have been referred back to the council – Parsonage Farm, Scotts, in Hornchurch, and The RJ Mitchell Primary School, also in Hornchurch.

Cllr Meg Davis, cabinet member for children and learning, said: “We believe our primary school expansion plans are robust and were put in place to help us ensure we can provide enough school places for local children, where they are most needed.

“But, following the decision of the overview and scrutiny committee regarding expansions at three schools, the plans will be going back to the cabinet for further consideration.”

Those campaigning to have the decision reconsidered have said they will now approach councillors and MPs in a bid to reiterate their concerns.

Share this article

0 comments

Comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Romford Recorder visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Romford Recorder staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Forgotten your password?

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Romford Recorder account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

   Local advertisers

More News

Click here to read the Digital Edition of the Romford Recorder on screen
Use our Wedding site to help you plan your big day!
At WeddingSite we know how much you have to organise for your wedding day, that's why we have designed a set of FREE, simple-to-use tools to make the planning process easy & hassle-free. FIND OUT MORE
Find a date using our online dating and friend finder
You can meet new friends, find romance or simply meet up online with people sharing similar interests and hobbies. FIND OUT MORE
Find a local business using our online directory search
Need a plumber? Or a florist? Or anything else? Search our business directory to find Romford businesses in just a few seconds. FIND OUT MORE
Family notices from the Romford Recorder, with readers' tributes
In memoriam, birthdays, weddings, anniversaries, best wishes & special days. FIND OUT MORE

Celebrity / Showbiz See all

Drake has cancelled his Wireless London performance (Photo by Theo Wargo/Getty Images for ESPN)

Fans devastated after Drake cancels Wireless London festival

Rapper Drake has pulled out of his headline appearances at this weekend’s Wireless Festival in London, leaving fans devastated.

Read full story »