Pregnant woman died at Queen’s Hospital, Romford after doctors mistakenly removed a healthy ovary instead of appendix

16:44 07 June 2013

Maria De Jesus pictured pregnant with the baby she miscarried before she died of multiple organ failure

Maria De Jesus pictured pregnant with the baby she miscarried before she died of multiple organ failure

Nigel Howard Cell + 44 (0)7831 235235

A pregnant woman suffering from appendicitis died after doctors at Queen’s Hospital mistakenly removed her healthy ovary instead of her appendix.

Queen's Hospital, RomfordQueen's Hospital, Romford

Maria De Jesus from Wroxall Road, Dagenham died on the operating table after a second operation to remove the appendix and it was revealed that doctors had removed her ovary two weeks previously.

An inquest into the death of the mother-of-three at Walthamstow Coroner’s court yesterday (Thurs) heard that the cause of Maria’s death on November 11, 2011 was multiple organ failure due to severe sepsis brought on by oopherectomy (removal of ovary) and appendectomy.

The 32-year-old was five months pregnant when she was admitted to the hospital on October 21, 2011 complaining of abdominal pain.

She was diagnosed with appendicitis and it was arranged that she would have an operation on October 23 to remove the appendix.

But the inquest heard the operation was carried out by two trainee surgeons in the absence of a consultant surgeon who removed her healthy ovary instead of her appendix.

Eight days after the operation, the teaching assistant was discharged from the hospital, but admitted herself on November 7 when her abdominal pains got worse.

Doctors only picked up on the mistake two weeks later on November 9, when it was discovered that the histopathology report, which had been available since October 31, confirmed no appendix was seen on microscopy.

Dr Sunita Sharma told the court that she was “puzzled” about the patient’s condition and decided to look through her pathology results when she realised that her ovary had been removed instead of her appendix.

She said: “It didn’t make sense that a healthy young woman with appendicitis wasn’t recovering after the appendix had been removed.

“I looked at the results and it showed that her ovary had been removed and not her appendix. I could not believe it, I was shocked.”

Coroner Chinyere Inyama said that there was a loss “window of opportunity”.

He added: “The absence of protocols for reporting adverse histopathological findings resulted in the loss of a window of opportunity to provide treatment to the deceased that could have affected the outcome.”

The day after the discovery was made, 100 mls of pus was drained from Maria’s abdomen.

Despite attempts to save her, she miscarried and died on the operating table after a second, successful appendectomy to remove the appendix.

Coroner Chinyere passed his condolences on to the family after recording a narrative verdict.

Chief executive of the Barking, Havering and Redbridge Hospital Trust, Averil Dongworth admitted liability in this case and apologised to the family.

She said: “An extensive trust wide action plan was drawn up following Mrs De Jesus’ death in 2011 to ensure that such a tragic incident will not happen again.”


Latest News Stories

21 minutes ago
Picture: Google maps

A man has been arrested for the stabbing of a 16-year-old boy near Havering College.

55 minutes ago
The London Fire Brigade has put forward proposals to axe 13 fire engines - including one from Stratford - to save £11million

‘All the conversation now is about social media, removing something as important as this is a false economy’ say Tories

Ingrebourne Valley Ltd has lodged an appeal against the council's refusal to the planning application to merge Hornchurch Country Park with Ingrebourne Hill by dumping waste

Controversial plans to dump waste and double the size of Rainham’s Ingrebourne Hill will be considered again next month.

80 years old Arthur Boulton, ex marine, competative smimmer and powerlifter.

As the evenings get colder and darker making it to the gym can be a battle for even the most strong-willed.

Yesterday, 16:53
Picture: Google maps

A 16-year-old boy has been taken to an east London hospital after “suffering a stab wound” police have said.

Yesterday, 14:08
Phyllis Woodham - taken in 1942

“While there are people like you there will always be an England.”

Yesterday, 11:03
First Step having their Christmas bazaar. Santa with Grace Mernagh 8 and Scarlett Farmer 8

Youngsters and families enjoyed visiting Santa’s Grotto and “Mr Snowman’s Wonderland” at First Step’s Christmas bazaar on Saturday.

Yesterday, 07:00
Politicians campaigning in Romford Market

Political leanings were put aside as a campaign supporting Britain leaving the European Union was launched in Romford Market Place last week.

Most read news

News from your area


Click on the banner above for full coverage of the centenary commemorations of the outbreak of the First World War.


Tesco - Every little helps

Would you like to have the opportunity to win a huge £2,500 to spend at Tesco? Well with this amazing prize you can do exactly that! MyOffers are giving you the chance to get your hands on £2,500 to spend on anything you desire may it be free weekly groceries for the foreseeable future, a new TV, home decoration or even a new sofa!

You could get your hands on the new Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge!

Here’s your chance to win one of the most feature-packed smartphones on the planet, from tech giants Samsung, The Samsung S6 Edge!

Digital Edition

Read the Romford Recorder e-edition today E-edition
Family Notices 24

Local business directory

Our trusted business finder