Local Weather

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 21°C

min temp: 14°C

Five-day forecast

Councillor’s Upminster green belt bungalow proposal approved

Cllr Barry Tebbutt. Picture Mark Sepple Cllr Barry Tebbutt. Picture Mark Sepple

Wednesday, March 12, 2014
2:04 PM

A councillor’s application for a new three-bedroom bungalow to be built on green belt land was approved last week, despite officer’s recommendations to reject it.

To send a link to this page to a friend, you must be logged in.

In December, the Regulatory Services Committee approved plans submitted by vice chair Cllr Barry Tebbutt to demolish an existing building in Southend Arterial Road, Upminster, and replace it with a two-bedroom bungalow.

But at last Thursday’s meeting, plans were approved for a three-bedroom property, with a larger roof than previously proposed.

Cllr David Durant voted against the proposal. He said: “The size of it clearly drives a coach and horses through green belt policy.

“But for some reason the Conservative, Ukip and Residents’ Association (RA) members thought otherwise and approved Cllr Tebbutt’s speculative green belt application!”

The plans were approved by eight votes to two, with two abstaining. Cllr Tebbutt was not present at the meeting, and claimed he had been treated poorly by the council over the matter.

“They’ve made me jump through hoops for this applciation to be approved,” he told the Recorder. “There’s a building 200 yards away from this site that is bigger than the one I applied for.

“My application was recommended by Ukip and seconded by the RA, which was nice. Cllr Durant was one of two to reject it, and I don’t really like him. Out of 10 residents that were questioned, only one opposed.”

National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF) states the construction of new builds is inappropriate in green belt land.

Exceptions to this rule include replacement buildings, “provided the new building is in the same use and not materially larger than the one it replaces.”

The report stated that in this case it would be larger than the one proposed in December, and was therefore inappropriate in principle.

Share this article

0 comments

   Local advertisers

Click here to read the Digital Edition of the Romford Recorder on screen
Use our Wedding site to help you plan your big day!
At WeddingSite we know how much you have to organise for your wedding day, that's why we have designed a set of FREE, simple-to-use tools to make the planning process easy & hassle-free. FIND OUT MORE
Find a date using our online dating and friend finder
You can meet new friends, find romance or simply meet up online with people sharing similar interests and hobbies. FIND OUT MORE
Find a local business using our online directory search
Need a plumber? Or a florist? Or anything else? Search our business directory to find Romford businesses in just a few seconds. FIND OUT MORE
Family notices from the Romford Recorder, with readers' tributes
In memoriam, birthdays, weddings, anniversaries, best wishes & special days. FIND OUT MORE

Celebrity / Showbiz See all

Drake has cancelled his Wireless London performance (Photo by Theo Wargo/Getty Images for ESPN)

Fans devastated after Drake cancels Wireless London festival

Rapper Drake has pulled out of his headline appearances at this weekend’s Wireless Festival in London, leaving fans devastated.

Read full story »