Search

Councillor accuses Havering Council of lying over waste site plans

12:00 14 June 2014

Cllr Michael Deon-Burton...ensure papers can

Cllr Michael Deon-Burton...ensure papers can't be read...commerically sensitive details

Archant

A councillor has accused Havering Council of “deliberately” witholding information and giving “untrue” answers to an FOI request he made, as he fights plans to expand an existing waste site.

Independent Residents’ Group councillor for South Hornchurch, Cllr Michael Deon-Burton, has spoken out against a two-year project that will increase the size of Ingrebourne Hill, a large community woodland and waste site, and create a link with Hornchurch Country Park.

A leaflet he published before the May elections contained the headline “Treachery: The Outright Treachery.”

In it, Cllr Deon-Burton “reveals” the “ongoing deal to dump other people’s rubbish” on the site, and accuses the council of “deliberately” withholding information by protecting it using the “Local Official Secrets Act.”

He also claims the council gave “untrue” answers in respone to an FOI request he made about plans to dump waste 15 metres high in Hornchurch Country Park.

He says he is “legally gagged” from discussing the matters - hence the taped mouth in the accompanying photo.

Contractors Ingrebourne Valley Ltd bought the land off the council in November 2011, a decision that caused controversy as residents and politicians fought to preserve one of the borough’s few large green spaces.

Last week, pre-planning work started on the site, which the council say will be filled with inert material that does not decompose and is not reactive (such as sand and concrete).

“People think this is a done deal,” said Cllr Burton. “But I don’t think it is. The Tories don’t have the majority they had before. I think we will be able to stop it.”

A Council spokesman said: “On some occasions there are details within reports that relate to a transaction or contract that may be commercially sensitive which is why they are put in exempt reports.

“We would be happy to advise Cllr Deon Burton further on which part of the report he wishes to discuss. There are no plans whatsoever to use the area as a landfill site for general waste, decomposable material or anything that will damage the environment.

“There will be no loss of land on the park or any adverse effects on or around the area.”

Read more:

Work starts on controversial Ingrebourne Hill waste extension

0 comments

Comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Romford Recorder visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Romford Recorder staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Romford Recorder account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Latest News Stories

Yesterday, 18:57
Dover Corner roundabout under water. Picture: @J_Skorpio

Chaos ensues as heavy rain is thought to have caused a roundabout to flood in Rainham.

Yesterday, 16:45
Tulisa Contostavlos pictured with Sarah O'Brien when she enjoyed a meal at the Shepherd and Dog in Harold Wood.

The “female boss”, Tulisa Contostavlos, made a surprising entrance when she showed up for a Friday night meal at the Shepherd and Dog.

Yesterday, 16:07
Mayor, Cllr Linda Trew, with Stefania Rossi and the team at the Utopia re-launch

A beauty salon has been nominated for a top national award just weeks after relaunching.

Yesterday, 15:14
Pc Zoe Thornton and Sgt Chris Toms (right) patrol outside Crownfield Junior School to keep children safe on the school run. Picture: Ajay Nair

Patrolling police officers want parents to put safety first during the school run.

Most read news

WW100

Click on the banner above for full coverage of the centenary commemorations of the outbreak of the First World War.

News from your area

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Romford Recorder e-edition today E-edition

Fears over growing extremist threat that is expected to continue for several years.

Once inside, one man held a seven-inch kitchen knife to a victim’s throat while another threatened a second victim with a knife.

His lawyers want the case against him in South Africa dropped.

It’s that time of year again, who do you think should win the Sports Personality of the Year award?