December 7 2013 Latest news:
Jane Ball, News Editor
Tuesday, January 22, 2013
It was a case of toilet humour - and tears – when firemen were called to free a toddler who had got his head stuck in a child’s loo seat.
Adventurous George de Souza, three, became trapped after trying on the training seat, which sits on top of an adult bowl, on Wednesday of last week.
But amusement turned to panic for parents Darren de Souza, 43, and Kelly Skyring, 33, who struggled, unsuccessfully, for 45 minutes to free their son.
Darren, of Broseley Road, Harold Hill, said: “We thought it was hilarious to start with but then George started to get upset when he realised we couldn’t get it off and to be honest we started to panic a bit ourselves.”
The couple, who have older daughter Kelsey, 16, and son Alfie, eight, tried moisturiser to help slip the seat off George’s head - but to no avail.
“I have no idea how he managed to get it on but it was stuck fast; it just wouldn’t budge past his ears,” said Darren. “The only thing I could think was we needed the fire bridge. They were brilliant - I don’t know what we would have done without them.”
He added: “I just want to warn other parents to be aware: kids can get stuck in these seats. George doesn’t even use it anymore, but he must have found it and decided it would make a good hat!”
Harold Hill firefighters attended at around 10pm and spent around 15 minutes freeing the boy.
Watch manager, Steve West, said: “It’s definitely one of the more unusual call-outs we’ve had.
“He had been a bit upset but once we turned up he was happy, smiley and as nice as pie. His mum said he was a big fan of the fire bridge.
“I think the parents were a bit panicky and didn’t want to hurt him but we just turned the seat round and wiggled it off.”
He added: “I made him promise not to try it on again!”
A 41-year-old man has been stabbed at an address in Harold Hill.