Misconduct hearing: Pregnant mum died after surgeon removed healthy ovary instead of appendix at Romford hospital

08:56 15 April 2014

Maria De Jesus pregnant with the baby she miscarried days before she died of multiple organ failure

Maria De Jesus pregnant with the baby she miscarried days before she died of multiple organ failure

Nigel Howard Cell + 44 (0)7831 235235

A pregnant mother-of-three with appendicitis died after a trainee surgeon mistakenly removed one of her healthy ovaries, a tribunal heard.

Trainee surgeon Dr Yahya Al-Abed admitted he made a number of errors during the procedureTrainee surgeon Dr Yahya Al-Abed admitted he made a number of errors during the procedure

Maria De Jesus, 32, underwent the operation at Queen’s Hospital, Romford, after she was admitted with abdominal pains in October 2011.

She died 19 days later after suffering a miscarriage.

Inexperienced medic Dr Yahya Al-Abed admitted he made a number of errors during the procedure.

“Patient A had begun to bleed quite heavily. Something was not right,’ Peter Horgan, of the General Medical Council (GMC) said. “In the midst of this, Mr Al-Abed removed what he clearly believed to be the appendix.”

Senior surgical consultant, Dr Babatunde Coker, is accused of failing in his role by not attending theatre.

Mr Coker was never called and received no information it was underway.

The General Medical Council (GMC) says the doctors’ treatment of Mrs De Jesus, amounted to misconduct.

Mrs De Jesus, who was 21-weeks pregnant, was discharged ten days after the October 23 operation, but returned to the Romford hospital on November 7, still in serious pain.

Mr Horgan said: “On November 9 it was discovered by another doctor that in fact the histology report showed an ovary had been removed and not the appendix.”

Mrs De Jesus gave birth to a still-born boy and died on the operating table on November 10 following a second operation, by a different surgeon, to remove her appendix.

The post-mortem concluded she had died of multiple organ failure brought on by septicaemia.

Both doctors are facing fitness to practise proceedings at the Medical Practitioners Tribunal Service in Manchester.

Mr Coker admits to failing to appropriately undertake his role but denies several other similar charges.

Dr Al-Abed admitted to the majority of the charges.

The hearing continues.

Read more:

Pregnant woman died at Queen’s Hospital, Romford after doctors mistakenly removed a healthy ovary instead of appendix

Picture of Maria De Jesus who died at Queen’s Hospital, Romford after doctors removed her ovary instead of her appendix

Latest News Stories

Yesterday, 14:12
Chancellor George Osborne outlined the government's spending plans in his Autumn Statement and Spending Review (Pic: PA/Yui Mok)

The Chancellor of the Exchequer George Osborne has announced his budget proposal for the next five years – here are the main things to know.

Yesterday, 11:56
Picture: Google maps

A man has been arrested os suspicion of stabbing a 16-year-old boy near Havering College.

Yesterday, 11:23
The London Fire Brigade has put forward proposals to axe 13 fire engines - including one from Stratford - to save £11million

‘All the conversation now is about social media, removing something as important as this is a false economy’ say Tories

Yesterday, 08:45
Ingrebourne Valley Ltd has lodged an appeal against the council's refusal to the planning application to merge Hornchurch Country Park with Ingrebourne Hill by dumping waste

Controversial plans to dump waste and double the size of Rainham’s Ingrebourne Hill will be considered again next month.

Yesterday, 07:00
80 years old Arthur Boulton, ex marine, competative smimmer and powerlifter.

As the evenings get colder and darker making it to the gym can be a battle for even the most strong-willed.

Tue, 16:53
Picture: Google maps

A 16-year-old boy has been taken to an east London hospital after “suffering a stab wound” police have said.

Tue, 14:08
Phyllis Woodham - taken in 1942

“While there are people like you there will always be an England.”

Most read news

News from your area


Click on the banner above for full coverage of the centenary commemorations of the outbreak of the First World War.


Tesco - Every little helps

Would you like to have the opportunity to win a huge £2,500 to spend at Tesco? Well with this amazing prize you can do exactly that! MyOffers are giving you the chance to get your hands on £2,500 to spend on anything you desire may it be free weekly groceries for the foreseeable future, a new TV, home decoration or even a new sofa!

You could get your hands on the new Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge!

Here’s your chance to win one of the most feature-packed smartphones on the planet, from tech giants Samsung, The Samsung S6 Edge!

Digital Edition

Read the Romford Recorder e-edition today E-edition
Family Notices 24

Local business directory

Our trusted business finder