Man sentenced to 12 years for manslaughter for a ‘brutal and unprovoked attack’ in Romford
PUBLISHED: 17:28 27 June 2017 | UPDATED: 09:16 29 June 2017
A man who left voice mail messages threatening to “kill” his victim has been sentenced to a total of 12 years in prison.
Richard Laurent, 46, of no fixed address was sentenced today at Woolwich Crown Court after being found guilty of the manslaughter of 61-year-old Derek Bailey on Wednesday following a nine-day trial.
Mr Bailey was discovered unconscious in the front garden of a house in Maple Street, Romford, at 6.45am on March 16 last year and died two hours later at Queen’s Hospital.
His injuries indicated a severe degree of blunt force had been inflicted on the victim.
Detectives discovered Mr Bailey, his attacker and several others had been drinking at the shared house in Maple Street.
Police recovered answer phone messages left by Laurent during the incident in which he said he would “kill” Mr Bailey.
Laurent was subsequently charged with murder on December 13 2016.
Det Insp Nicky Oatham said: “Laurent today begins a lengthy prison sentence after he was convicted of a brutal and unprovoked attack.
“His behaviour was truly shocking.”