Search

Laptop left on bed for half an hour sets fire to newlyweds’ Harold Hill house

11:11 13 June 2013

The couple

The couple's fire-damaged home

Archant

A young couple’s home was wrecked after a laptop left on their bed caught fire.

The fire burnt away the carpet and damaged the wall and floorboardsThe fire burnt away the carpet and damaged the wall and floorboards

The pair, who live off Straight Road in Harold Hill, had stepped out to a barbecue on Saturday evening when the computer, which had been left with its lid down, is believed to have overheated.

“I’m a teacher and I’d been writing reports,” said the 26-year-old wife, who wished to remain anonymous.

“I put the lid down and left it on the bed so I could continue when I got home.

“Forty minutes later, we got a phone call from our neighbour saying there was smoke and sparks coming from the bedroom window.”

The remains of the couple's bed, which firefighters threw out the windowThe remains of the couple's bed, which firefighters threw out the window

The newlyweds rushed home to find two fire crews battling the blaze with a jet. The bed where the Toshiba computer had been left was burning so fiercely firefighters had to throw its remains out of a window.

“I thought it was safe leaving it there,” admitted the primary teacher, who has been given time off work to sort out the wreckage.

“I never thought leaving my laptop on the bed would have done that.

“Everyone we’ve spoken to has said they do the same thing.”

The couple had married just a fortnight earlier and the husband had celebrated his 31st birthday two days before the fire.

Now many of their possessions, including keepsakes and wedding memorabilia, are beyond repair.

“The insurance people have condemned the whole bedroom and bathroom,” said the wife. “They were going to condemn my wedding dress, although now they’ve said they’ll try and clean it.

“The smoke got in all the drawers and wardrobes. Everything’s all black and it stinks.

“I lost all my reports and all my teacher training material is gone. My jewellery is smoke damaged. Even stuff downstairs has a layer of black over it.

“We don’t know where to start. The house needs gutting upstairs. The fire burnt up the carpet and underlay and it’s even weakened the floorboards.

“It’s not the best start to married life.”

The laptop was five years old. Fire investigators believe its battery hgad overheated.

A London Fire Brigade spokesman said: “You should always turn your laptop off when you’ve finished using it, and don’t leave it on a surface that could catch fire, like a bed or a chair.

“Laptop batteries can get very hot so it’s best to store them unplugged and on a heatproof surface such as a table.”

0 comments

Latest Romford News Stories

Yesterday, 16:36
Cardiac Risk in the Young (CRY) visited The Campion School to screen pupil's hearts for possible undetected defects. Tony Hill, family screening manager, Peter Patterson and Dr Rajay Narain

A father who lost his son to an undiagnosed heart condition returned to a school, last week, with free heart screening treatment.

Yesterday, 16:23
Snaresbrook Crown Court Pic: John Stillwell/PA

A business owner in Collier Row has been sentenced to three-and-a-half years in prison after being found guilty of laundering cash totalling £166,000.

Yesterday, 14:42
Cllr Alex Donald

An openly-gay councillor has set up Havering’s first LGBT forum to provide support and a place to meet.

Yesterday, 12:37
Havering's London Assembly member Keith Prince at Gallows Corner

London’s new mayor has said he will visit Gallows Corner to see traffic problems for himself.

Yesterday, 12:30
PC Craig Emmery helped out a RTC last week while off duty

An off-duty special constable has recalled the “surreal” moments he rushed to the aid of injured car drivers.

Yesterday, 10:54
Community Gardener Jesse Lock buliding a version of Rainham Hall for insects to use with local children and National Trust worker Brian Morrell

A wildlife expert has come up with a novel way to attract creepy crawlies to the garden of a historic hall – he’s built a bug hotel.

Yesterday, 07:00
Charlie Kutyauripo, 16, who was stabbed to death in Woodford Bridge. Photo: @MostAuthentic

A friend of Charlie Kutyauripo’s told the Old Bailey that he was stabbed to death due to an argument over a tracksuit.

Tue, 16:51
The planned map for the full night-tube service, with the central and Victoria lines due to open on August 19

It has been confirmed this week that Transport for London’s first all-night tube services will begin on August 19.

Newsletter Sign Up

Most read news

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

News from your area

WW100

Click on the banner above for full coverage of the centenary commemorations of the outbreak of the First World War.

Competitions

Win a BMW 1 series

There are fewer cars currently on the market more stylish and exciting than the BMW. Known all over the world as one of the best car manufacturers, the BMW is renowned for sleek designs and fantastic high quality workmanship.

Kindle 7 inch tablet

Are you looking for a brand new gadget to help you stay connected on the go and make that long journey home a bit more entertaining? Look no further. MyOffers is giving you the chance to win 1 of 50 Kindle Fire 7” Display Tablets! That’s 50 times more chances to win, so hurry up and enter our competition today and you could be one of our lucky winners!

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Romford Recorder
e-edition today

Subscribe