Search

Laptop left on bed for half an hour sets fire to newlyweds’ Harold Hill house

PUBLISHED: 11:11 13 June 2013 | UPDATED: 12:14 13 June 2013

The couple's fire-damaged home

The couple's fire-damaged home

Archant

A young couple’s home was wrecked after a laptop left on their bed caught fire.

The fire burnt away the carpet and damaged the wall and floorboards The fire burnt away the carpet and damaged the wall and floorboards

The pair, who live off Straight Road in Harold Hill, had stepped out to a barbecue on Saturday evening when the computer, which had been left with its lid down, is believed to have overheated.

“I’m a teacher and I’d been writing reports,” said the 26-year-old wife, who wished to remain anonymous.

“I put the lid down and left it on the bed so I could continue when I got home.

“Forty minutes later, we got a phone call from our neighbour saying there was smoke and sparks coming from the bedroom window.”

The remains of the couple's bed, which firefighters threw out the window The remains of the couple's bed, which firefighters threw out the window

The newlyweds rushed home to find two fire crews battling the blaze with a jet. The bed where the Toshiba computer had been left was burning so fiercely firefighters had to throw its remains out of a window.

“I thought it was safe leaving it there,” admitted the primary teacher, who has been given time off work to sort out the wreckage.

“I never thought leaving my laptop on the bed would have done that.

“Everyone we’ve spoken to has said they do the same thing.”

The couple had married just a fortnight earlier and the husband had celebrated his 31st birthday two days before the fire.

Now many of their possessions, including keepsakes and wedding memorabilia, are beyond repair.

“The insurance people have condemned the whole bedroom and bathroom,” said the wife. “They were going to condemn my wedding dress, although now they’ve said they’ll try and clean it.

“The smoke got in all the drawers and wardrobes. Everything’s all black and it stinks.

“I lost all my reports and all my teacher training material is gone. My jewellery is smoke damaged. Even stuff downstairs has a layer of black over it.

“We don’t know where to start. The house needs gutting upstairs. The fire burnt up the carpet and underlay and it’s even weakened the floorboards.

“It’s not the best start to married life.”

The laptop was five years old. Fire investigators believe its battery hgad overheated.

A London Fire Brigade spokesman said: “You should always turn your laptop off when you’ve finished using it, and don’t leave it on a surface that could catch fire, like a bed or a chair.

“Laptop batteries can get very hot so it’s best to store them unplugged and on a heatproof surface such as a table.”

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Latest Romford News Stories

12:20

A charming musical about life, love – and tradition – in a Russian Jewish community wowed on its opening night.

10:39

England 400-plus years ago was not keen on free speech, as Prof Ged Martin explains

07:00

Hundreds of families are without a permanent home in Havering, the highest figure for a decade and a sign of a burgeoning housing crisis. In the first of a special series of reports, EMMA YOULE meets those struggling to find a place to live and asks why?

09:40

An entrepreneur who secured an exclusive top prize at last year’s Thames Gateway Business Awards has spoken of the “amazing” effect it has had on his charity.

Yesterday, 17:30

The Liberty shopping centre has revealed that JD Sports will be partly taking over where BHS used to be.

Yesterday, 15:38

Havering Council took a bold step forward to reassure members of the community worried that wind turbines will one day be installed beauty spots.

Yesterday, 13:30

Young children are being subjected to vile abuse by a group of bullies at a primary school it has been claimed.

Yesterday, 12:29

Trains have been delayed this morning after balloons got stuck in the overhead wires.

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Most read news

Show Job Lists

News from your area

Competitions

Having a brand new kitchen is something that lots of people want but can only dream of. Sadly keeping up to date and making our living spaces as nice as they can be is a costly and incredibly stressful business. Even a fresh coat of paint makes all the difference but isn’t easy or quick.

Who wouldn’t love the chance to go on a shopping spree. Imagine being able to walk into a shop and choose whatever your heart desires without having to worry about how much it costs.

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Romford Recorder
e-edition today

Subscribe

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now