Search

House fire ‘caused by smoking in bed’ badly damages Gidea Park flat

PUBLISHED: 14:30 04 February 2013 | UPDATED: 11:19 07 February 2013

The woman was taken to hospital suffering the effects of smoke inhalation

The woman was taken to hospital suffering the effects of smoke inhalation

sub

A second-floor flat was badly burnt in a house fire this morning.

The blaze, which damaged about 40 per cent of the Durham Avenue flat, Gidea Park, is thought to have been started by someone smoking in bed.

Firefighters from Hornchurch and Harold Hill were called just after 11am and searched through the thick smoke for anyone trapped inside – but the householders had left the scene before they arrived.

It is thought there was no smoke alarm fitted.

Were you there? Call the news desk on 020 8477 3903 or e-mail ramzy.alwakeel@archant.co.uk.

0 comments

Latest Romford News Stories

8 minutes ago

Whether it is by winning medals at local diving competitions or helping beginners perfect their moves, the Havering Cormorants never fails to make a splash.

A Holocaust survivor relives his journey more than 70 years on, recalling how he lost his identity at Auschwitz.

09:00

Mother’s Day came early for one mum who was treated to a special makeover day at Mercury Mall.

Yesterday, 15:00

A fairytale land thrown into chaos when its good-evil equilibrium is disturbed is the subject of an inclusive drama group’s latest show.

Yesterday, 12:00

The list of names which Barry Cryer has written jokes for reads like a who’s who of comedy greats.

Yesterday, 10:00

In 1922 protesters seized Romford’s workhouse in anger at growing poverty. Prof Ged Martin tells us more

Fri, 18:00

X Factor star and TV personality Stacey Solomon has visited patients and staff at Queen’s Hospital, Romford, after donating £17,000 to the hospital’s charity.

Fri, 17:34

The Dualers have been announced this week as the second headline act for the Havering Show.

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Most read news

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

News from your area

Competitions

Having a brand new kitchen is something that lots of people want but can only dream of. Sadly keeping up to date and making our living spaces as nice as they can be is a costly and incredibly stressful business. Even a fresh coat of paint makes all the difference but isn’t easy or quick.

Who wouldn’t love the chance to go on a shopping spree. Imagine being able to walk into a shop and choose whatever your heart desires without having to worry about how much it costs.

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Romford Recorder
e-edition today

Subscribe

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now