Search

House fire ‘caused by smoking in bed’ badly damages Gidea Park flat

14:30 04 February 2013

The woman was taken to hospital suffering the effects of smoke inhalation

The woman was taken to hospital suffering the effects of smoke inhalation

sub

A second-floor flat was badly burnt in a house fire this morning.

The blaze, which damaged about 40 per cent of the Durham Avenue flat, Gidea Park, is thought to have been started by someone smoking in bed.

Firefighters from Hornchurch and Harold Hill were called just after 11am and searched through the thick smoke for anyone trapped inside – but the householders had left the scene before they arrived.

It is thought there was no smoke alarm fitted.

Were you there? Call the news desk on 020 8477 3903 or e-mail ramzy.alwakeel@archant.co.uk.

0 comments

Latest News Stories

Yesterday, 17:10
Photo: Martin Le-May

An amateur wildlife photographer did not expect anything to come of his friend tweeting his picture of a woodpecker flying off with a weasel on its back – how wrong he was.

Yesterday, 15:30
Perry Tarrant

A man is set to climb mountains in memory of his brother.

Yesterday, 11:10
The two images issued by police. Picture: Essex Police

Police are hunting for two men after meat was taken from a Co-operative convenience store.

Yesterday, 07:00
Elliott Ready with his drawings

An autistic boy has been using his passion for drawing to save a charity.

Most read news

WW100

Click on the banner above for full coverage of the centenary commemorations of the outbreak of the First World War.

News from your area

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Romford Recorder e-edition today E-edition
Family Notices 24
Our trusted business finder

A one-off version is being auctioned off for Comic Relief.

A man has now been jailed for the attack which left the officer unconscious.

The thieves were in and out in one minute – much like in the films.