Search

House fire ‘caused by smoking in bed’ badly damages Gidea Park flat

PUBLISHED: 14:30 04 February 2013 | UPDATED: 11:19 07 February 2013

The woman was taken to hospital suffering the effects of smoke inhalation

The woman was taken to hospital suffering the effects of smoke inhalation

sub

A second-floor flat was badly burnt in a house fire this morning.

The blaze, which damaged about 40 per cent of the Durham Avenue flat, Gidea Park, is thought to have been started by someone smoking in bed.

Firefighters from Hornchurch and Harold Hill were called just after 11am and searched through the thick smoke for anyone trapped inside – but the householders had left the scene before they arrived.

It is thought there was no smoke alarm fitted.

Were you there? Call the news desk on 020 8477 3903 or e-mail ramzy.alwakeel@archant.co.uk.

0 comments

Latest Romford News Stories

Havering’s A&E department has been given £1million from the Department of Health (DoH), to continue a pioneering project to cut waiting times.

Yesterday, 17:32

A nurse who had never before competed in a race let alone a marathon has raised more than £2,100 for Richard House Children’s Hospice.

Yesterday, 12:50

In an attempt to save lives and deter drivers from breaking speed limits, new sentencing guidelines came into effect yesterday.

Yesterday, 12:00

With obesity in adults and children continually rising, concerns abound not only as to the content of the food we are eating, and how active we are, but also to the medical conditions which can come on as a result.

Yesterday, 11:21

As the dust settles on the London Marathon and participants tend to their aches and pains now is the time to acknowledge the charitable efforts of Havering’s many runners.

Yesterday, 10:16

Major refurbishment works costing more than £1.5million have begun at a leisure centre to improve its facilities.

Yesterday, 07:00

After a busy career catching crooks a former police officer continues to make sure houses stay safe by fitting burglar alarms.

Mon, 16:06

A boxing legend came to Romford on Saturday and proved to be a real knockout with shoppers.

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Most read news

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

News from your area

Competitions

Having a brand new kitchen is something that lots of people want but can only dream of. Sadly keeping up to date and making our living spaces as nice as they can be is a costly and incredibly stressful business. Even a fresh coat of paint makes all the difference but isn’t easy or quick.

Who wouldn’t love the chance to go on a shopping spree. Imagine being able to walk into a shop and choose whatever your heart desires without having to worry about how much it costs.

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Romford Recorder
e-edition today

Subscribe

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now