Heroic woman, 74, saves neighbour’s baby from Elm Park house fire while in dressing gown
17:19 16 January 2014
A heroic 74-year-old woman – wearing a dressing gown and slippers – saved a neighbour’s baby from a house fire before putting out the flames.
Dot Williamson, of Easedale Drive, Elm Park, was getting dressed on Wednesday morning when she saw a bedroom in flames across the road.
“I was up in my bedroom getting ready to go out,” said Mrs Williamson, “when I looked in my mirror and saw next door’s window. I thought, ‘Oh my god, it’s a fire’.
“My first thought was that there’s a baby in there.”
Her granddaughter Charlotte Holt-Brown, 25, of Araglen Avenue, South Ockendon, said: “She put on her dressing gown and her slippers and ran downstairs.”
Mrs Williamson banged on her neighbour’s door and the woman who answered was unaware of the drama unfolding.
Mrs Holt-Brown said: “My nan shouted: ‘Your bedroom is on fire’.”
Both women ran upstairs and Mrs Williamson noticed smoke coming from a room.
Her neighbour told her that her baby was in the room next door.
“My nan shut the door so that smoke didn’t get in the baby’s room,” said Mrs Holt-Brown.
“She went to get loads of water to put on the curtains.”
Eventually, Mrs Williamson extinguished the fire which appeared to have been caused by a candle.
“She breathed in quite a bit of smoke, but is OK now,” said Charlotte.
“No emergency services were called at all, no fire brigade, no ambulance, no nothing.
“Later, she rang up her brother who was in the fire service.
“He said: ‘You silly idiot, you should’ve called for help’.”
Mrs Williamson visited the family later to find the mother extremely grateful, and the baby fit and well.