Years running Queen’s Hospital and King George ‘most challenging’ of trust chief’s career

12:59 12 March 2014

Averil Dongworth

Averil Dongworth


Averil Dongworth has said her three years at the trust behind King George Hospital and Queen’s Hospital have been the “most challenging” of her career.

She is retiring as chief executive of Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Hospitals NHS Trust (BHRUT) at the end of the month.

It comes just weeks after the shock resignation of trust chairman Sir Peter Dixon.

Ms Dongworth had planned her retirement before the trust was put into special measures following a damning CQC report in December.

The status is imposed by the NHS when trust managers are not considered capable of resolving systematic failings.

The NHS Trust Development Authority has appointed an improvement director to oversee a plan to bring services up to standard and the results of a review of senior management have not yet been announced.

Ms Dongworth said: “I am proud that the Trust has made great strides since the hospital-wide CQC investigation in 2011.

“I believe the trust is now in a much stronger position with a real opportunity to build for the future, so that the people of Barking and Dagenham, Havering and Redbridge will have healthcare services they can rely on and be proud of.”

She thanked fellow executives, hospital staff and partners for their support.

Interim chairman of BHRUT, Dr Maureen Dalziel, said: “We are extremely grateful for the dedicated leadership and for the huge contribution Averil has made to the trust.”

A trust spokesman said Ms Dongworth had been in the NHS for 40 years and is looking forward to spending time with her family and friends and pursuing her own projects in health and conservation.

The new chief executive, who has not yet been appointed, faces heading one of the busiest and most overcrowded hospitals in the UK as well as taking on the trust’s huge financial problems.

Board papers last month revealed the deficit at the end of December expected to reach between £27million and £33m.

The A&E at King George Hospital, Goodmayes, which has historically performed much better than Queen’s, is due to be shut in 2015 as part of a huge reconfiguration of services at both hospitals.

Related articles


Latest News Stories

Yesterday, 16:53
Picture: Google maps

A 16-year-old boy has been taken to an east London hospital after “suffering a stab wound” police have said.

Yesterday, 14:08
Phyllis Woodham - taken in 1942

“While there are people like you there will always be an England.”

Yesterday, 11:03
First Step having their Christmas bazaar. Santa with Grace Mernagh 8 and Scarlett Farmer 8

Youngsters and families enjoyed visiting Santa’s Grotto and “Mr Snowman’s Wonderland” at First Step’s Christmas bazaar on Saturday.

Yesterday, 07:00
Politicians campaigning in Romford Market

Political leanings were put aside as a campaign supporting Britain leaving the European Union was launched in Romford Market Place last week.

Mon, 18:59
Shoppers hunt for bargains on Black Friday (Credit: PA/ Dominic Lipinski)

Shoppers are expected to be out in force on Black Friday

Mon, 16:52
Warehouse and flat fire in Grenfell Avenue, Hornchurch Picture: Lee Finch

Ten people were evacuated from a block of flats yesterday as firefighters fought to extinguish a blaze.

Mon, 12:44
Harlequin Gymnastics Club was destroyed by Storm Barney

Wreckage left behind by Storm Barney did not exclude Havering from its destructive path as a gymnastics club is appealing for donations after a wall partially collapsed.

Mon, 12:00
Harold Hill pupils anti-bullying march - students from St Ursula's school

Youngsters from six schools stood united against bullying as they marched through the streets of Harold Hill on Friday.

Breaking News

Yesterday, 16:53

A 16-year-old boy has been taken to an east London hospital after “suffering a stab wound” police have said.

Read more

Most read news

News from your area


Click on the banner above for full coverage of the centenary commemorations of the outbreak of the First World War.


Tesco - Every little helps

Would you like to have the opportunity to win a huge £2,500 to spend at Tesco? Well with this amazing prize you can do exactly that! MyOffers are giving you the chance to get your hands on £2,500 to spend on anything you desire may it be free weekly groceries for the foreseeable future, a new TV, home decoration or even a new sofa!

You could get your hands on the new Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge!

Here’s your chance to win one of the most feature-packed smartphones on the planet, from tech giants Samsung, The Samsung S6 Edge!

Digital Edition

Read the Romford Recorder e-edition today E-edition
Family Notices 24

Local business directory

Our trusted business finder