Search

Woman, 29, unable to have baby naturally after Queen’s Hospital doctors miss ectopic pregnancy

07:00 27 June 2014

Kelly Luscombe-Sarter

Kelly Luscombe-Sarter

Archant

Emergency surgery has left a 29-year-old woman unable to conceive a baby naturally after Queen’s Hospital after doctors missed her ectopic pregnancy.

The Romford hospital’s chief executive has vowed that a thorough investigation will be carried out into the patient’s care.

Kelly Luscombe-Sarter claims she nearly died last week as the result of the severe internal bleeding, due to her carrying a baby outside of her womb, she experienced two weeks after doctors had told her she had a complete miscarriage.

“If they noticed in the first place it would’ve been a simple operation and this would never have happened. I would still be able to have kids the normal way,” she said.

But doctors had to remove her remaining Fallopian tube in order to excise the foetus. She lost her the other when she was two weeks old.

Miss Luscombe-Sarter, who moved from Romford to Shevon Way, Brentwood, last year, first visited the Rom Valley Way hospital on June 2 after she experienced pain and heavy bleeding after intercourse.

She received blood tests and a scan the doctor told her on June 10 it was likely she had a complete miscarriage.

On June 16 she returned after she was continually in agony. “They didn’t bother with a scan, they said it was a possible infection and sent me on my way but I was still in agony,” she said.

As the pain worsened she returned on June 18 when the doctor noticed the internal bleeding and the ectopic pregnancy.

“It’s really awful - they didn’t miss it once they missed it three times,” she said.

“If it wasn’t for me going back there I wouldn’t be here any more.

“I can understand they are short staff but this is just not on.

“I want compensation, when I go for IVF in the future, I will have to pay for it.”

Chief executive Matthew Hopkins said: “This must be a very distressing time for Miss Luscombe-Sarter and I will ensure that a full and thorough investigation is carried out into the care that she received.

“We take patient safety extremely seriously, and strive to be an open and honest organisation, so we would always encourage patients to contact us to discuss any concerns they might have.

“I hope that Miss Luscombe-Sarter will meet with us once an investigation has been carried out so that we can share our findings with her and any learnings or improvements that might be necessary.”

Read more:

Mum describes horror at discovering potentially fatal retained afterbirth after Queen’s Hospital mistake

Mother praises Queen’s Hospital’s ‘unsung heroes’ who saved daughter’s life

A&E like war zone, says Queen’s Hospital doctor

Queen’s Hospital surgeon who removed ovary instead of appendix ‘can keep job’

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Romford Recorder visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Romford Recorder staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Romford Recorder account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Latest News Stories

Hit and run victim, Derek Bernstein, 58, is described as a loving husband, father, grandfather and sincere friend by his family

The family of a hit-and-run victim who died last week have described him as a sincere and loving person.

Yesterday, 15:49
Ian Ottley and his daughter Danielle's house was destroyed when a bus crashed into it last year. They were in a hotel until March but have now moved back in

A family whose home was destroyed when a driverless bus rolled into it has put a “nightmare year” behind them.

Yesterday, 07:38
Year seven pupils took part in a sponsored walk at Cely Woods for Saint Francis Hospice

A charity that has supported those with life limiting illnesses for 31 years has held a special service to mark its anniversary.

Wed, 15:27
Michael Hotti was jailed

An “extremely violent” career criminal has been jailed for five years for robbing two stores while on licence.

Most read news

News from your area

WW100

Click on the banner above for full coverage of the centenary commemorations of the outbreak of the First World War.

Competitions

Get your hands on some fresh trainers!

Need some new shoes to head to work or some new heels for a night on the cobbles? London24 has teamed up with online retailer Sole Trader to offer £100 worth of shoes to one lucky reader.

Take in the stunning sites of London from the summit of the O2!

Up at The O2 has teamed up with London24 to give one lucky reader the chance to experience urban mountaineering this summer with an exhilarating 90-minute climb across the roof of one of London’s most iconic landmarks.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Romford Recorder e-edition today E-edition
Family Notices 24


Our trusted business finder