Search

Romford radiographer struck off for giving patient wrong scan and then covering it up

PUBLISHED: 14:53 15 January 2014 | UPDATED: 08:44 16 January 2014

The patient was given a head scan instead of an abdominal scan

The patient was given a head scan instead of an abdominal scan

Archant

A “dishonest” hospital specialist who exposed a patient to “greater than intended” amounts of radiation has been struck off.

Leonard Odu performed an unnecessary scan on a patient and tried to cover up his mistake, a health panel ruled earlier this month.

Radiographer Odu, who worked at Queen’s Hospital, in Rom Valley Way, Romford, mistakenly gave a patient a head scan instead of an abdominal scan in January 2012, the Conduct and Competence Committee panel of the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) heard.

He had failed to perform the appropriate identification checks.

It meant the patient was exposed to radiation to “an extent much greater than intended”, the report by the panel said.

Odu tried to cover his tracks by deleting the images from the CT scanner hard drive before asking a colleague to wipe the pictures from the archiving system.

Odu, who had worked for Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Hospitals Trust since 2004, had already received training to deal with a previous identification mistake two years earlier, the panel heard.

Panel chairman Colin Allies said: “The matters found proved amounted to serious lapses of professional standards and misconduct. They had the potential of causing patient harm. The registrant deliberately sought to conceal his mistakes in a dishonest manner.

“The panel cannot be satisfied that there may be no repetition of mistakes of this nature because of the lack of evidence of the registrant’s understanding of the nature of his errors. This is particularly compounded by his dishonest behaviour in this case.”

Odu pleaded guilty but was not present or represented at the hearing.

He has a right to appeal.

0 comments

Latest Romford News Stories

12:58

Eye catching floral displays took over the Rush Green Community Centre on Saturday as dozens of people competed for 1st place at a flower show.

A cigarette lighter that was accidentally ignited by the mechanism of a reclinable chair caused a fire at a block of flats for elderly people earlier this morning.

If you had the chance to ask your future MP any question, what would it be?

Yesterday, 13:06

A queue of doughnut-lovers formed in The Liberty shopping centre as Krispy Kreme opened its newest kiosk-style store.

Yesterday, 11:20

Residents say they will not give up the fight against a gravel extraction site near their homes.

Yesterday, 08:11

A war hero who was awarded the freedom of the borough in 2011 for his work in the community has died at the age of 97.

Tue, 17:20

The organisers of We Are FSTVL have reassured festival goers that they will update their security plans “where necessary” in response to last night’s bomb attack in Manchester.

Tue, 16:19

In a world obsessed with self promotion and social media, it isn’t too hard to understand how many of us find ourselves caught up in our own self-absorbed bubbles.

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Most read news

Show Job Lists

News from your area

Competitions

Having a brand new kitchen is something that lots of people want but can only dream of. Sadly keeping up to date and making our living spaces as nice as they can be is a costly and incredibly stressful business. Even a fresh coat of paint makes all the difference but isn’t easy or quick.

Who wouldn’t love the chance to go on a shopping spree. Imagine being able to walk into a shop and choose whatever your heart desires without having to worry about how much it costs.

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Romford Recorder
e-edition today

Subscribe

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now