Search

Barking, Havering and Redbridge NHS trust reveals “missing” patient notes

09:00 21 June 2014

Queen

Queen's Hospital

Archant

Patient notes have been going “missing” at the troubled Queen’s Hospital – resulting in delays and cancelled appointments.

The Recorder has spoken to a woman patient in her 40s who says her notes have been mislaid twice – once resulting in a three hour delay to chemotherapy treatment.

An improvement plan published by Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Hospitals NHS Trust revealed that between 15 and 20 per cent of patients’ notes were going missing.

The revelation comes as the trust, which has been placed in special measures by the Care Quality Commission, pledged to improve services.

A woman told the Recorder she had twice arrived at the hospital for scheduled appointments to discover her notes had been misplaced.

She expressed concerns that missing notes could delay patients’ diagnosis and treatment but said her experience of the hospital had been generally positive.

Neil Hardy, associate director outpatient and medical secretariat services, said notes were not permanently lost, but in another area of the hospital.

He said: “Every effort is made to insure that the clinician has access to relevant and appropriate information to enable patients to be properly assessed.”

The 44-page improvement plan has identified a variety of issues at Queen’s and King George’s hospitals and outlined the action needed to drive the trust out of special measures.

A bleak picture was painted of outpatient care revealing booking difficulties and cancelled appointments.

Measures to improve the service will include rebuilding customer appointment slots.

The chair of Havering Clinical Commissioning Group, Atul Aggarwal, said: “As a GP, my priority is the safety of my patients. I very much welcome the Trust’s improvement plan and look forward to seeing it now implemented effectively and at pace so patients experience the real improvements to hospital services that we all want for our local population.”

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Romford Recorder visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Romford Recorder staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Romford Recorder account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Latest News Stories

15:00
Parked cars. Picture: PA/Stefan Rousseau

The council stands to make thousands of pounds after changes to nighttime parking were made official.

The girls in the year 6 class at Broadford Primary School took a vow of silence inspired by a Free the Children campaign

Girls across the world are taking a vow of silence to show their support for women whose voices can’t be heard and a Harold Hill school is joining them.

Yesterday, 15:00
Spirit Factor finalist Courtney Abrahams

A young opera singer was “shocked” to be crowned champion of a talent contest on Saturday.

Yesterday, 09:00
The Robert Beard Centre in the 1970s.

Memories will be shared by past and present members of a youth centre when it celebrates its 50th anniversary.

Most read news

WW100

Click on the banner above for full coverage of the centenary commemorations of the outbreak of the First World War.

News from your area

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Romford Recorder e-edition today E-edition
Family Notices 24
Our trusted business finder

Technology experts have been giving their verdict on the first big smartphone offerings of 2015.

The Korean smartphone giants made the announcement at their Unpacked event ahead of Mobile World Congress.

Smartphone giant has announced the new flagship One M9 ahead of Mobile World Congress in Barcelona.