May 23 2013 Latest news:
Jane Ball, News Editor
Thursday, March 14, 2013
A woman who lost her unborn child has spoken of the trauma of receiving a letter from a hospital trust mistakenly offering her a tour of the labour ward.
Rebecca Mazrreku and husband Nick were devastated when doctors were unable to find a foetal heartbeat 12 weeks into the married couple’s longed-for pregnancy.
Rebecca, of Mungo Park Road, Rainham, would have given birth later this month and had been dreading the approaching due date for weeks.
She described opening Monday’s letter, advising where mums-to-be should go to give birth following the closure of King George maternity unit in Goodmayes, as “traumatic”.
“I am shocked, appalled and extremely upset by the lack of consideration or knowledge in regards to my loss,” the 25-year-old said, “to send me a letter such as this is disgusting and very painful.
“It begs the question whether they check notes or their systems or even if they have any real clue as to what they are doing.”
Rebecca, mum to four-year-old Aden, added: “I managed to come to terms with what happened but it’s never far from my mind. It was a very stressful and upsetting time for me and my family.
“We will try for another baby but I need to recover first.”
The trust has apologised to Rebecca, who underwent a medically-induced miscarriage at home, blaming an administrative error.
Wendy Matthews, director of midwifery at Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Hospitals Trust, said: “I sincerely apologise to Mrs Mazrreku for this mistake, and for any distress caused.
“Unfortunately our computer system had not been updated as Mrs Mazrreku did not miscarry in one of our hospitals.
“We will be looking again at the systems we have in place with our community teams to ensure that this does not happen again.”
Around 2,000 letters were mailed but it is not known if any more women dealing with losses have been contacted.