Search

Harold Hill and Harold Wood residents rescue elderly neighbours from house fires - thanks to smoke alarms

PUBLISHED: 08:00 28 February 2013

sub

Two sets of quick-thinking neighbours turned Good Samaritan this week, helping an elderly man and woman escape their burning homes.

On Sunday afternoon, a woman, her daughter, and another man let themselves into an 88-year-old man’s maisonette after hearing a smoke alarm. Finding the kitchen on fire, the trio led their neighbour to safety before calling the fire brigade.

Firefighters extinguished the blaze and gave the man, who was suffering from smoke inhalation, oxygen and first aid. He was taken by ambulance to Queen’s Hospital, Romford.

One of the rescuers, who did not wish to be named, said he initially thought was hearing a car alarm.

“My neighbour’s kitchen door was open so me and another neighbour went in and got him,” he said. “The kitchen was thick with smoke.

“We called the fire and ambulance. He had breathed in a lot of the smoke.

“I’ve been his neighbour for nine years and we get on really well. He’s a good neighbour - always ready to listen.

“I don’t consider myself a hero - I’d do it again tomorrow for any of my neighbours.”

The alarm was raised at about 4.40pm in Dagnam Park Drive, Harold Hill. The fire brigade had fitted the crucial smoke detector during a routine visit just a fortnight earlier.

It is thought the blaze was started by a microwave.

Harold Hill fire station’s watch manager Steve West said: “It’s great to see that proactive fire safety work carried out by the crews at this station led to such a positive outcome. It is vital that you have a working smoke alarm as it gives you – or, in this case, your neighbours – an early warning of a fire happening.”

And a Harold Wood woman, also in her 80s, was rescued from a house fire in the early hours of Tuesday – again after her smoke alarm alerted neighbours.

The fire in Church Road, thought to have been started by an electrical fault in the woman’s shower, damaged about five per cent of the house’s first floor. The alarm was raised at about 5.40am and firefighters from Romford and Harold Hill spent another two hours on the scene in Church Road, Harold Wood.

Ambulance staff treated the woman for smoke inhalation and took her to Queen’s Hospital, Romford.

London Fire Brigade’s borough commander for Havering, Chris Drew, praised both sets of neighbours for their quick thinking – but added a word of warning.

“It is great that Havering residents are looking out for their elderly neighbours and acting quickly when they notice a fire,” he said.

“It’s important, though, that people don’t put themselves in danger. Our simple message is: get out, stay out and call the fire brigade out.”

If you think an elderly relative or neighbour would benefit from a home fire safety visit, go to http://www.london-fire.gov.uk/HomeFireSafetyVisit.asp. Where necessary, firefighters visiting homes will fit free smoke alarms.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Latest Romford News Stories

53 minutes ago

A special ground breaking ceremony was held last week to celebrate the start of ground works on a new state-of-the-art purpose built school.

A driver who failed to stop at the scene of a crash, which killed a speeding 23-year-old motorcyclist, has been given a fourth month suspended sentence.

A perverted teenager who sexually assaulted two women and girls aged 11 and 13 in Havering parks has been handed a 12 month referral order.

Yesterday, 19:01

Due to a trespass incident between Chadwell Heath and Romford, all lines are curently blocked.

Yesterday, 18:06

The final acts and entertainment of the borough’s biggest summer event, the Havering Show, have been unveiled.

Yesterday, 15:06

Not enough was done to shut down an alleged illegal rave where two men were shot and another stabbed this weekend, angry residents claim.

Yesterday, 13:35

Veteran midwife Sheila Baldwin has helped plenty of babies into world but she is retiring from the NHS after 30 years of service.

Yesterday, 12:40

A driver had a lucky escape in the early hours of Sunday morning when they walked away unscathed from a crash that had left their badly damaged car on its roof.

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Most read news

Show Job Lists

News from your area

Competitions

Having a brand new kitchen is something that lots of people want but can only dream of. Sadly keeping up to date and making our living spaces as nice as they can be is a costly and incredibly stressful business. Even a fresh coat of paint makes all the difference but isn’t easy or quick.

Who wouldn’t love the chance to go on a shopping spree. Imagine being able to walk into a shop and choose whatever your heart desires without having to worry about how much it costs.

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Romford Recorder
e-edition today

Subscribe

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now