Local Weather

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 18°C

min temp: 13°C

Five-day forecast

Half wait too long for elective surgery at Queen’s and King George, trust board reveals

The two hospitals run by the trust: King George in Goodmayes (top) and Queen's in Romford (bottom) The two hospitals run by the trust: King George in Goodmayes (top) and Queen's in Romford (bottom)

Thursday, September 4, 2014
12:48 PM

A huge backlog of patients awaiting surgery, summer recruitment difficulties and plans to make hospital premises smoke-free were revealed yesterday by the trust that runs Queen’s and King George hospitals.

To send a link to this page to a friend, you must be logged in.

Nearly 50 per cent of patients referred for elective surgery have had to wait more than 18 weeks, the Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Hospitals NHS Trust board was told on Wednesday.

Nationally, trusts are expected to ensure no more than 10pc of patients have to wait no longer than 18 weeks, meaning the struggling BHRUT is still missing the target by a significant margin.

Board papers released ahead of the board meeting reveal that - as of August 26, 2014 - 3,938 of the 7,951 patients on the “admitted” waiting list still have not been in for elective surgery.

Some 80 patients have had to wait even longer, over a year, for their treatment - a fall from 148 in June. The NHS Constitution says no patients should have to wait more than 52 weeks.

BHRUT chief executive Matthew Hopkins, who replaced former trust boss Averil Dongworth in April, said the figures were “unacceptable” but stressed he was “absolutely determined that all our patients are seen as quickly as possible”.

He added the trust would be providing extra operations at King George and Queen’s, and intended to meet national standards by “mid-2015”.

In a damning Care Quality Commission (CQC) inspection last year, BHRUT was criticised for its over-reliance on temporary, and therefore more expensive, staff, including nurses.

In Wednesday’s board meeting, nursing director Flo Panel Coates said: “We were looking to be in a better position than we are but August has been a really difficult month.”

She added: “In August we had a higher reliance on temporary staff and that has meant higher costs, but we have done this in response to specific risks.”

Earlier in the meeting, held at King George Hospital in Goodmayes, BHRUT chairman Dr Maureen Dalziel launched the trust’s consultation on making the entirety of its sites smoke-free.

“As a health service dedicated to fighting illness, we do not want to condone an activity which is known to cause disease and early death,” she said.

On Wednesday evening, BHRUT held its annual general meeting, where members of the public got the chance to quiz board members.

Trust bosses spoke candidly about past failings and outlined measures it was taking to improve.

Read more:

Trust spends £4m on temporary staff in a year to keep Queen’s Hospital A&E running
Queen’s and King George hospital chief: ‘We’re starting to see improvements’
CQC report: Patients are at risk at unsafe King George Hospital A&E

Share this article

0 comments

Comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Romford Recorder visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Romford Recorder staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Forgotten your password?

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Romford Recorder account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

   Local advertisers

More News

Click here to read the Digital Edition of the Romford Recorder on screen
Use our Wedding site to help you plan your big day!
At WeddingSite we know how much you have to organise for your wedding day, that's why we have designed a set of FREE, simple-to-use tools to make the planning process easy & hassle-free. FIND OUT MORE
Find a date using our online dating and friend finder
You can meet new friends, find romance or simply meet up online with people sharing similar interests and hobbies. FIND OUT MORE
Find a local business using our online directory search
Need a plumber? Or a florist? Or anything else? Search our business directory to find Romford businesses in just a few seconds. FIND OUT MORE
Family notices from the Romford Recorder, with readers' tributes
In memoriam, birthdays, weddings, anniversaries, best wishes & special days. FIND OUT MORE

Celebrity / Showbiz See all

Drake has cancelled his Wireless London performance (Photo by Theo Wargo/Getty Images for ESPN)

Fans devastated after Drake cancels Wireless London festival

Rapper Drake has pulled out of his headline appearances at this weekend’s Wireless Festival in London, leaving fans devastated.

Read full story »