Search

Former Brentwood council leader questions consultation for car park redevelopment

18:00 10 August 2014

Cllr Russell Quirk addressing residents at the car park meeting on Monday.

Cllr Russell Quirk addressing residents at the car park meeting on Monday.

Archant

The former leader of Brentwood Council has claimed that residents will have less say over plans to redevelop a “dilapidated” car park than first thought.

Cllr Louise McKinlay spoke up in the light of recent public meetings to involve residents in the redevelopment of Wiliam Hunter Way car park.

Major retailers have expressed an interest in taking over the space, but Brentwood First Cllr Russell Quirk, chairman of both the Brentwood Asset group and the Enterprise Committee, has maintained that the people of Brentwood will be able to decide on its future.

Cllr Quirk described interest from retailers as “premature”.

Leaked documents reveal that retailers including Asda, Waitrose and H&M have declared an interest after plans to turn the car park into a cinema and shopping complex fell through earlier this year.

Brentwood Council has organised events for residents to find out more about plans for the space, the first of which took place on Monday.

Cllr Quirk said: “Whilst it’s great the interest from retailers is there, all this interest is a bit premature – I want us to decide what to do with the car park from the ground up.”

A public consultation will start in September after another council event tomorrow (Mon) at 6.30pm.

Cllr Quirk, who admitted there were a minimum of 11 parties interested in the car park, added: “The consultation is going to let the people decide how it should be used and the residents of Brentwood must have ‘the’ say – not ‘a’ say, but ‘the’ say.”

Cllr McKinlay, a Conservative, said: “My concern at the moment is that there seems to be the idea that ‘the people will decide’ – I don’t think that’s fair to the public. I encourage them to provide their input, but the reality will be very different.”

Read more:

‘Kept in the dark’ on Brentwood development

William Hunter Way development deal scrapped by Brentwood officials

Man pleads not guilty to William Hunter Way assault

0 comments

Comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Romford Recorder visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Romford Recorder staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Romford Recorder account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Latest News Stories

51 reports were made to police

Reports relating to as many as 18 brothels have been made to Havering Police in the past year, new figures show.

Yesterday, 18:33

As fireworks light up the skies above Havering, firefighters have walked out in a strike that has been described as putting “people’s lives at risk”.

Yesterday, 17:45
Enjoy firework displays being held across the borough.

Get into the bonfire spirit with firework nights across the borough.

Yesterday, 17:37

A 28-year-old woman spent five hours trapped in her bathroom after the door’s lock failed to open.

Most read news

WW100

Click on the banner above for full coverage of the centenary commemorations of the outbreak of the First World War.

News from your area

The billionaire businessman is joining his team in the Mojave desert.

“Space is hard and today was a tough day.”

One pilot is dead and another seriously injured after the craft exploded over the Mojave desert.

One pilot has died and another is seriously injured after a rocket belonging to billionaire Sir Richard Branson’s space tourism venture crashed during a test flight. Virgin Galactic’s SpaceShipTwo rocket came down in the Mojave Desert in California. An eyewitness reported that the craft exploded in flight after ignition. A Virgin Galactic spokesman said the […]

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Romford Recorder e-edition today E-edition