Firefighters set for 24-hour strike in Havering

17:32 05 June 2014

The strikes are the latest in a series of walkouts over pensions changes

The strikes are the latest in a series of walkouts over pensions changes


Firefighters in Havering will go on a 24-hour strike next week after pension schemes were labelled “unworkable” by union chiefs, it has been announced today.

The planned stoppage will take place from 9am on Thursday, June 12, and is set to be the longest in a series of strikes over pension reforms and a later retirement age.

It will be followed by a second bout of industrial action on Saturday, June 21, from 10am to 5pm.

The decision for firefighters in England and Wales to strike was made by the Fire Brigades Union’s (FBU) executive council on Wednesday after a meeting with fire minister Brandon Lewis earlier in the week ended without progress.

Matt Wrack, FBU general secretary, accused the minister of burying his head in the sand, adding: “He must accept that firefighters simply will not give up fighting for their futures — and our fire and rescue service.

“Concerns over these unworkable proposals remain as valid and grave as ever, and the government has ignored all the evidence including it’s own reports.

“It is as ever a difficult decision for us to take, but the only way for us to resolve this unnecessary and costly dispute is for the government to start listening to reason.”

The FBU claimed the government was refusing to publish alternative proposals on pensions which it believed would help resolve the dispute.

It said its members typically pay more than £4,000 a year into a pension pot from a salary of £29,000, with many firefighters considering leaving the scheme as payments look set to rise.

The government is also proposing to raise the retirement age of a firefighter to 60 with those forced to retire beforehand due to waning physical fitness facing losing half of their pension payment, said Mr Wrack.

He added a report by the government by Dr Tony Williams, published in December 2013, found that large numbers of firefighters would be “unable to maintain operational fitness” until 60.

A spokesman for the Department for Communities and Local Government said: “By disrupting constructive discussions and an open consultation with further strike action the FBU has once again shown the country it is not serious about finding a resolution.

“The Government has made clear that a way forward can be reached, but not under the shadow of industrial action, which only serves to damage firefighters’ standing with the public.

“The deal on the table gives firefighters one of the most generous pension schemes in all the public sector, and the proposals protect the earned rights of a higher proportion of members than any other public sector scheme.

“Nearly three quarters will see no change in their pension age in 2015. Under the new scheme, a firefighter who earns £29,000 will still be able to retire after a full career aged sixty, get a £19,000 a year pension, rising to £26,000 with the state pension.

“An equivalent private pension pot would be worth over half a million pounds and require firefighters to contribute twice as much.”

“Public safety remains our prime concern and robust contingency plans are in place to keep people protected.”

Read more:

Romford temporarily stripped of fire engine as brigade chiefs anticipate possible strike action


Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Romford Recorder visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Romford Recorder staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Romford Recorder account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Latest News Stories

Edward George Humphries, 91  fought in World War Two and has been awarded a Legional d'honneur by the French Embassy for his efforts during D-Day.

More than 70 years after the Normandy Landings, a 91-year-old man has received a medal for his war effort.

Peter Patterson

Police are appealing for help in finding a vulnerable missing man with dementia.

Rise Park Junior School opens new year 6 block it is aimed at preparing year 6 for year 7 and has all-singing and all-dancing equipment aimed at improving learning and teaching.

A Havering school opened a new building on Wednesday, dedicated to year six pupils as part of a commitment to improve learning experiences.

Yesterday, 12:00
Havering Town Hall.

Havering Council has approved releasing more than £83million to provide affordable housing in the borough.

Yesterday, 12:00
Campaigners demonstrate in front of the Mecca Bingo hall in Hornchurch after Lidl submitted a planning application to demolish the Tower building

Campaigners battling to save the Mecca Bingo Hall building in Hornchurch are vowing to battle on and will appeal a decision not to list the building.

Yesterday, 10:00
Borough commander Jason Gwillim told the Recorder it was

The Borough Commander and MPs have welcomed the Chancellor of the Exchequer George Osborne’s decision to scrap cuts to police forces.

Fri, 16:10
Recorder reporter Hayley Anderson with her national journalism award

Recorder reporter Hayley Anderson was highly commended in a national journalism awards evening in Birmingham last night.

Most read news

News from your area


Click on the banner above for full coverage of the centenary commemorations of the outbreak of the First World War.


MAC Makeup

MAC are renowned for their flawless, fabulous make up that is used worldwide by the stars. You too can have the chance to have the perfect makeup to suit your needs with £1,000 to spend on all the glam goodies you like!


You are never far from an Argos, wherever in the country you may be. They are like a magical cavern where whatever you need they seem to have it out the back behind the counter. So why not put them to the test with this great MyOffers competition to win £1000 to spend in-store.

Digital Edition

Read the Romford Recorder e-edition today E-edition
Family Notices 24

Local business directory

Our trusted business finder