September 20 2014 Latest news:
Tuesday, February 18, 2014
An electrical fire “gutted” a vicarage in Harold Hill on Sunday night.
Four crews of firefighters from Harold Hill, Romford, Hornchurch and Dagenham were called to the empty four-bedroom property in Kings Lynn Drive at 7.30pm.
The fire damaged part of the ground floor and a large part of the staircase, which had fallen away.
The St George’s Church vicarage has been privately rented for the last two years but was set to house a new vicar after the last tenants moved out in Jaunary.
Brian Nelson, church warden, said: “Nothing like this has ever happened before. The place has been gutted.”
The brigade arrived at about 7.30pm and extinguished the fire in an hour - with teams returning throughout the night.
Police and the building’s electrical company are investigating the fire, which was believed to have started in an electrical unit underneath the stairs.